Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have leos like 5 months old and im fed up of crix could i feed meal worms as their diet?????????????for ever and just treat them with locust pinkies ext???? and can leos sumtimes poop worms out ? cause ive heard they can travel to the digestive system and come out in the poop ewwwww :cry: :lol:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
dont feed just meal worms.i always leave a small dish of them in the viv at all times but i would mix a diet up a little.small hoppers,crickets,butter worms are great for leos,silk worms if you can get them and the odd waxie now and again wont harm.When you use crickets though i was always taught to use the brown ones as there a little easyier for them with them being young.black ones wont do them any harm though as i know quite a few that will feed them without a problem :wink:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
cant say i've ever seen it with mine and they have meal worms daily.A geckos digestive system is quite tuff and they have quite a high acid leval to help digest their food so i cant think how that would be possable.there is a few issues about feeding meal worms to geckos but they are aimed more at beardie owners.some people say they have had problems where their beardie hasnt crunched down the meal worm and it has atually ate through the animals stomach hence killed the animal.i have never known leos to have a problem though in my experience.think their was a post on here the other day that badgersmum started and it was kinda like clash of the titans when they finished over a meal worm debate lol.im ok feeding them and like i say loads of others do to.so see what works best for you and your leos. :wink:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thx what about this as a diet ............

meal worms most of the time....
locust some of the time............
others less of the time
hehe would that be ok ?? :roll:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
not really! mealworms are not a great food! really high in chitin and low in nutrition..if you want you leos to get to 25+ you need to feed a varied diet....more like:

crickets most of the time, (as an alternative use lobster roaches)
locusts some of the time,
waxworms sometimes (maybe as desert!)
a pinkie once a month.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its dessert not desert :p i saw that on the front of an english book once with a camel on a trifle or soemthing stupid :p

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but look oit says this on all the internet caresheets and in books

Food and Feeding:

Leopard geckos can be fed mealworms or crickets, with an occasional meal of wax worms or a pink mouse when they are older. When maintaining a large colony of geckos, mealworms are significantly less work than crickets. There appears to be no significant difference in health or growth rate between geckos fed crickets or meal worms.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
wouldnt recomend feeding them all the time.you should feed hoppers,crickets aswell but i always leave meal worms in the viv in a dish in case they get peckish.as for the mice i would only recomend that for really skiny animals that need more fat levals.i havnt ever fed mine mice.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
leopardgeckos4me said:

Food and Feeding:

Leopard geckos can be fed mealworms or crickets, with an occasional meal of wax worms or a pink mouse when they are older. When maintaining a large colony of geckos, mealworms are significantly less work than crickets. There appears to be no significant difference in health or growth rate between geckos fed crickets or meal worms.
appears!? mealworms are renowned for not being as good....not just for leos but with all reps...they have too much exoskeleton and cannot be as gut loaded as easily as crickets...trust me you simply can't beat crickets (well maybe with roaches!). wish i could qoute some book about now but i can't it's mostly just experience! i know i only have the two leos( not including the multitude of other reps!) but they are now 8 and i would like to think i have done the right thing by them over the years..this includes feeding them the best food i could give them... :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah worms and crickets can come out in the leos poo if not digested properly, especially if the gecko is still quite young and you use food that is a bit too big for them. Waxies and butterworms can if you feed too many. Treat butterworms asa treat like waxies, maybe three maximum say every two weeks, or less. Varied diet is best, but you may find your leos prefer 1 type of food. One of my males will only eat hoppers and most of my other leos will only eat crix!! :roll: It's just trial and error. They'll let you know what they do and dont like :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
leopardgeckos4me said:

Food and Feeding:

You may get some places on the internet that say that, unfortunately some of it is just people making it all up from what they have done for 3 months. Thats the problem with the net BUT I believe you'll find more care sheets out there that say mealies are not to be used as staple diets

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
it also worth noting that it says "no significant difference" as opposed to "no noticable difference" or even "varying differences that can not be put down to one or the other food items due to certain specimens from each sets growing at varying rates"

·
Registered
399 Posts
As the saying goes "variety is the spice of life",so why would you just want to limit your leos to just one food source.All my animals get a varied diet and i would expect this to be one of the reasons why they are so healthy.Yes we can live on chocolate for the rest of our lives but how long would that be for, so why feed them mainly something that is not that good for them?Not trying to get on at you but most caresheets/books recommend that any animal is given a varied diet.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
i have 2 leo's a male and a female...i tend to leave a dish with 15 mealies in at all times,i give them 10-12 crix every other day between them and hand feed them 2 waxies each twice a week and they have a dish of calcium powder in the viv at all times and they seem pretty healthy 2 me. at what age can they have pinkies from???? :?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts