Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd planning on breeding mealworms and wondered if it was vialble to do this in cricket tubs?

Any view on now many beetles to put in a tub and how frequently they should be rotated to new tubs?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not sure about doing it in cricket tubs.

System I use is 4 plastic shoe boxes with holes in the lids for ventilation. Fill 3 boxes 1" deep with bran. In 1 box place the mealworms with a bit of cardboard or egg carton and some chopped up carrot on the cardboard (change the carrot weekly, do not put it directly on the bran as it may cause mould).

Once a week I filter out the fras by shaking the mealworms and bran through a sieve, then putting them into the empty tub. The fras goes in the bin, the tub they were in gets cleaned.

Any pupae are removed when they are spotted and placed in one of the other tubs with bran in. As soon as this process begins I add moisture to this tub in the form of a teabag placed on a small tin lid. The teabag is changed daily. No need to run the contents of this tub through the sieve.

When the beetles appear they need transferring into the 3rd tub of bran. They should have carrot on cardboard and some hessian sacking or similar on which to lay eggs. These guys will need sieving but the fras needs to be saved incase it contains eggs. Depending on whether you have any mealworms left in the first tub depends on whether or not you can put this fras straight into that tub or into the empty tub.

Anyhow, I think you can probably figure it out from that. You could try the same system using cricket tubs - might work, just be mindful of the air holes on the side of the tub.

Dave.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts