Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here is Footloose, A Giant Standings Day Gecko, and someone who has stolen my heart with his cheeky character.
we fell in love with him straight away, he is missing one back leg up to the knee joint (typically that is the leg you cannot see in the photo's) It was ripped off by another male, as the breeder had kept two males and one female together:devil:
He copes really well, sometimes he slips a bit on the glass, but otherwise most of the time you wouldn't really know.
He loves his grub, hmm maybe a bit too much as think he is a little on the chubby side now:blush:. I think I spoilt him too much when we bought him home lol, and how can you refuse that face? Though his rations have been cut down and he isn't as hungry all the time now as he was to start with.
He has managed to escape twice, but was easily caught...I thought we had an extra Gecko wall ornament, until I realised this one moved!!
He is a real cheeky chap and doesn't miss a trick, often you see a little face looking at you when you are trying to watch telly!

So here is one special boy:flrt:

posing for his Mum (and he says ignore his love handles lol)

Thanks for looking x

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
He is stunning such striking head pattern and colour.

Reactions: Earth-Angel

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I love these Geckos, and yours is just stunning! Can see his cheeky character in his little face :flrt: Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Looks a right little chunk lol, brilliant name for him.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Very cute:flrt:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Awww! What a gorgeous gecko! He looks huge! Nice and chubby bless him!:flrt:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Aww bless he's a cutie :) LOl they are prone to putting on the pounds :blush: mine would only mine are very skittly :(

He does look rather podgy LOL remind me of my old golden gecko boy who was tame and named pouchie due to his extra tyres LOL he gained his weight as he got very old.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
he is very sweet and very chunky lol, i have also fallen for a day gecko, its a nice change to have geckos running round in the day time isnt it : victory:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aw thanks so much everyone for your great comments. I would reply to each personally but its not so easy to do things on the ipad, and i cant remember all names from memory...so forgive me!

He is a little chunky i know:blush:.... But he is now going to erm the gym every week and laying off the jam tarts :whistling2:
Seriously, he was so hungry for a bit, but now think he doesnt need so much so eats very little, think he only has to look at a locust now and he gains 5 grams!

They ate such lovely gecko's, but i can imagine with all four feet would be rather fast!

Craig, what type have you got? Yes makes a real change and takes some getting used too, i see him in the day & catch myself thinking 'shouldn't he be asleep'? Lol then i realise. Mind you he doesnt sleep much a night as he often bangs and crashes trying to catch a locust, or you see him looking at you. Are yours the same?
Did wonder about getting him a girlfriend as read they like to pair up? But dont know if he would be afraid of others after his ordeal? Dont want to scare the poor chap!

Thanks again everyone x

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Suez:2thumb: nice to meet a fellow owner of such a wonderful gecko! They have such characters dont they? Footloose feeds from my hands too, he is amazing, he even licks nectar from my fingers. Im surprised how trusting he is, though like your two he can be skittish with people he doesn't know so well....hence how my partner went to feed him and he got out twice!! I do wonder if he would like a girlfriend, but not sure if he would be scared after what happened to him or whether it would be a good thing. Think i saw pics of your two in their set up, looked lovellllly: victory: x

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
He looks slightly chubby but thats just baby fat. :lol2:
Seriously nice gecko though. :2thumb:
I think the man eason why more people do ot keep day geckos is the fact that yo cannot anle them and some keepers don't see the point in keeping a reptile that you can't handle. If I had the room I would deffinetly have a pair.
Because many geckos communicate using pheromones I think the only thing that would stress him out is if he smelt another male. So I don't see a problem with getting him a girlfriend.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Thanks Suez:2thumb: nice to meet a fellow owner of such a wonderful gecko! They have such characters dont they? Footloose feeds from my hands too, he is amazing, he even licks nectar from my fingers. Im surprised how trusting he is, though like your two he can be skittish with people he doesn't know so well....hence how my partner went to feed him and he got out twice!! I do wonder if he would like a girlfriend, but not sure if he would be scared after what happened to him or whether it would be a good thing. Think i saw pics of your two in their set up, looked lovellllly: victory: x
well he would be quite happy on his own also with a female but you need to take into consideration.
what if he doesnt like his new girl or she doesnt like him(trouble)
they will breed and you will need to sell rehome or don't incubate eggs at all.
I love having the pair and they produced some very nice offspring.I will say Cozmo (male)was even more friendly before the female was introduced as she is more skitty .She used to dash off and he would follow .He is far more chilled again now and they have settled very well .Your boy is fab either way girlfriend or not I'm sur you will love having him.:2thumb:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You certainly have a very nice male there! It looks like you're treating him very well indeed. It may seem like a good idea to get him a girlfriend, but i definitely wouldn't recommend it unless you are prepared to watch VERY carefully for aggression. Sadly I have seen first hand how aggressive phelsuma sp can be at times. I have had a male ornata rip apart a female and kill her and I have also had a male cepediana rip over a female but she is ok now, and as of last week she is a mother! Considering that he has already had a bad experience and the fact that he would be severely disadvantaged in a fight, it would probably be best if he is housed alone. Just my oppinion though. He wouldnt get anything out of being with another individual ;)

well he would be quite happy on his own also with a female but you need to take into consideration.
what if he doesnt like his new girl or she doesnt like him(trouble)
they will breed and you will need to sell rehome or don't incubate eggs at all.
I love having the pair and they produced some very nice offspring.I will say Cozmo (male)was even more friendly before the female was introduced as she is more skitty .She used to dash off and he would follow .He is far more chilled again now and they have settled very well .Your boy is fab either way girlfriend or not I'm sur you will love having him.:2thumb:

Wooo Cozmo! Glad hes still doing great. He couldn't have a better home! :no1:

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
You certainly have a very nice male there! It looks like you're treating him very well indeed. It may seem like a good idea to get him a girlfriend, but i definitely wouldn't recommend it unless you are prepared to watch VERY carefully for aggression. Sadly I have seen first hand how aggressive phelsuma sp can be at times. I have had a male ornata rip apart a female and kill her and I have also had a male cepediana rip over a female but she is ok now, and as of last week she is a mother! Considering that he has already had a bad experience and the fact that he would be severely disadvantaged in a fight, it would probably be best if he is housed alone. Just my oppinion though. He wouldnt get anything out of being with another individual ;)

Wooo Cozmo! Glad hes still doing great. He couldn't have a better home! :no1:
Yeah he is fantastic proper spoiled too.you never need to worry about him :2thumb:

·
Registered
559 Posts
please please please do not house him with a female. the only advantage would be the babies (possibly) and if thats what youre after a new pair would be a better option. Eds advice is sound

hes a little stunner though (OK maybe not so little ha), congrats!

eggs will still hatch in situ suez, infact for some sub species temperature fluctuation is a must. its nice to see you got a williamsi pair in the end. i see you have been bitten by the phelsuma bug too :lol2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts