Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just picked up Sheldon and need some help ID him/her.
Also this will be my first set up, going to go with a large aquarium aprox 300l in our living room for the foreseeable future, obviously if it is a breed that grows really large then will look to build an outdoor pond eventually.

As it will be in living room, any tips on making it 'visually' more appealing? I am aware there's nothing else living that I could put in a tank with it, so any other ideas or photos of your set up to give me some inspiration would be great!
TIA for any help!

PS. I am aware his current set up is not suitable i.e gravel need removing, doesnt need a water heater (?) and needs a uv and basking light

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New set up

Here's his new home!

I am getting a large piece of cork bark to use as a basking area. Any ideas on lighting? Don't really just want 2 x ceramic clamps as its in my living room so want something to look decent, any suggestions or links?

Water is 40cm deep so struggling really to fill the tank, cheaply but without reducing swim space too much. What about fish or snails etc? Anything that could live in 'harmony' or will all just become food?

Also from a decorative point of view was going to add bubble bar with white lights, would this be ok or would it just annoy/ stress him out?

Thanks for your help and advice

·
Registered
228 Posts
As far as lighting goes you can buy a UVB/UVA all in one bulb. Theses are a little more pricey than you average heat bulb but give you the benefit of just using one light. They are called mercury vapour bulbs.
As far as tank mates go... All snails will be eaten, fish possibly some quick danios or tetras but remember they can end up as food so at your own risk, your best bet for tank mates is another turtle however this depends on your current turtles temperament and size of tank.
And the bubbler should be fine they get use to them.

Josh

·
Super Moderator
16,939 Posts
I wouldn't recommend adding another turtle. Yours does appear to be female (short front claws and tail), but any new addition would need to be quarantined for several weeks, meaning a separate set up, and they may not get on. A male would continually pester a female. Females can co-habit, but we do have one who is aggressive and is housed separately.

You can have a strip light and then a desk lamp over the basking area with a household spot light bulb in.

Fast forwarding to late May - if you need any help/advice regarding an outdoor pond, do ask. They really do thrive outdoors over the summer, but it does have to be 100% secure so they cannot escape. They are good climbers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.