Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the local pet shop the other day and they had a "mel" corn what is it and is £60 a bit steep?
I was going to buy it there and then as they've got it on cat litter and there was 3 old sheds and about 5 turds in the viv. I told them they need to clean it but they said they were leaving them in there to show people they were shedding and pooing regular.
If i did buy it what would i get breeding it with a striped snow,I'll have to wait though as they are both only a year old.
Dont know if it matters but the snow is male and the "mel" is female.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I would be very wary of buying from a shop that doesnt clean out the vivs and keeps their snakes on cat litter! I think you could do with educating them a little rather than just giving them more money.

"Mel" isnt even a morph, I guess they mean its an amel :? What does it look like? An orangey colour with no black?
My wdvice would be not to buy it, but to go back and express your concern over the conditions and inform them on better options.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.its not orange but a greyish/dead person colour (i cant think of any other way to put it).

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
how peculiar!

ok, which shop's it in? i used to live up that way, and have mates up that way still who will go and have a look for you.. i know quite a few of the shops up that way, the good AND the bad...

also, have a look on here, and see if any of the colours match

http://www.kornnatterlexikon.de/index.php?action=2&section=222

Nerys

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The only thing I can think that 'mel' is short for would be melanistic....but there isnt a melanistic corn I dont think....so....I unno...

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
there is a melanistic corn in that guide so if you look it may shed a bit of light :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looked in that guide but most of the pics were missing, so not much help.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my gf went into the shop today to get some crix, she said that the water in the bowls was green and the UV in their bd viv was behind a glass panel, UV doesnt travel through glass does it? she tried to tell them but the woman in the shop said " I just work here, I dont have anything to do with the reptiles" and she didnt seem to care.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
yes UV is filtered by glass so thats very wrong this shop sounds like it needs closing down

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the closest i could find on that link is Anerythristic Type B or Charcoal, but even then the colours in its patches on its back are a bit too dark.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Poor little thing!! if u were gonna get it i'd take it to a vet ASAP. its soo sad how people keep reptiles and tell them to get that UV light inside the vivs. GO SHOUT AT THEM!!!!! (then try get them to lower the prices! :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
And keeping a corn on cat litter is worse than keeping it sand!

The stuff is very absorbent - it's designed to soak up large amounts of urine - so the humidity in there must be rock bottom - I'm surprised the poor thing has managed to shed at all.

I'd print off a few caresheets for them and put them on the counter!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They use cat litter because they reckon its digestable. If you try telling them they say "we've been keeping reps for years and know what we are doing" they obviously dont though.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, it would be like trying to eat 20 dry crackers without water,dry, as i've already said they dont know shit, maybe i should tell them to log on here and then see what they think.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Melanin is the black pigment in the cells... so they probably mean that when they say mel witch probably means it's an Anery corn, as already said. That also means they know nothing of corn snakes and probably have only seen about 3 morphs of corn snakes. You could probably get an Anery for like 20 quid, but I’m unsure on U.K Prices.

I wouldn’t buy a lot of corn morphs at 60 quid let alone an Anery corn. :shock:

If I was you I would give a corn snake breeder a visit!

eeji - that’s a good site, Nice one :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts