Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large crested gecko enclosure 4ft long and 4.5ft tall. The lamp will hang above the screen enclosure.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using this type of bulb for my cresties? I want to add more heat and some uvb.

Heres a look at the tank itself if this helps

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You can't put a stat on a mvb, you would be better off with a T5 UV tube and starter, as for heat a cermaic heat emitter dome and pulse stat is the best way to provide heat for cresties.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You can stat an MVB, you just cant use a dimming stat. It does tend to reduce the life of the bulb though. However, in a screened enclosure like that I cant really see any reason to have it on a stat anyway.

MVBs are pretty variable so you really need to pay attention to brands. MegaRay are the best on the market, but can be a little tough to get a hold of at times. Im sure the Arcadia are pretty great too, but I havent seen any test results on theirs, so cant say for sure. (got any test results yet John?) Most of the other brands go from bad to worse due to manufacturing issues.

As for the advantages and disadvantages, MVBs are great heat producers, project UVB quite far and unlike fluorescent bulbs, they also project good UVA. However, they only project UV exposure over a fairly small area (basically its a physical issue, MVBs are only around 6" across, compared to a long tube which is 24" or 36" or 48" long) and the spectrum between the peaks of UV production are basically non existent. What you get is lots of UV at very certain and specific wavelengths, but essentially nothing in between those peaks. The spectrum of a linear tube is more broad in between the peaks.

MVBs also come in two types that you need to be aware of. There are the self ballasted ones and there are the ones that require an external ballast. Generally the self ballasted ones dont last quite as long.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
You can stat an MVB, you just cant use a dimming stat. It does tend to reduce the life of the bulb though. However, in a screened enclosure like that I cant really see any reason to have it on a stat anyway.
You can't use them with a stat as they require long warm up and cool down periods and a stat will most likely switch on/off during that period.

Reactions: Muz333

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Your the light guy, so I dont want to really argue with you, but it is possible in a well set up enclosure to use them on a stat. I say this with some, though limited, experience. (One MVB on one enclosure) If the light is set up properly to start with, then the stat is just there as a failsafe, so shouldnt have to really ever turn on or off except in an extreme situation. A stat should not really be used to determine temperature in my opinion, but rather to make sure the normal parameters of the set up are not exceeded on say a really hot random summer day for instance.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You can't use them with a stat as they require long warm up and cool down periods and a stat will most likely switch on/off during that period.
Working in a lab I can confirm that this is the case. We have to provide 15-30 minutes between the switching on and off of mercury bulbs (fluorescence microscopy) or risk the chances of an explosion in some very expensive equipment!

Of course a mercury bulb exploding is pretty serious as it is. I'd imagine stating a bulb would make this a huge risk.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Hi,

Please don't use M.V lamps with a stat. They have an internal ballast which includes a safety cutout/dead switch.

It would be possible to use a surge protected timer, maybe even a timer with a temperature switch off but these lamps will simply not and cannot re-strike for 5-10 mins after a loss of power.

All outputs for our product is available on our website and is provided by UVGUIDE as an independent testing source as with all of our lamps.

M.V is always going to have posatives and negatives.

Firtsly they are a great source of heat, light and UV over a dedicated area. They are especially good at providing an area in which an animal can "boost" first thing in the morning.

The limitations are, they can't be used with a stat. So you don't have thermal control. They only light a very small area and they cost a fair bit to run.

So if you ask me an honest question; "can I use one safely with a crestie"? Well it is possible but it will not give you control or light a very wide area and it will cost a fair bit to power it.

I would actually suggest in your viv that a good stat controlled heat source either light emmiting or ceramic is up to you used alongside a source of light and UV over around a third of the viv and as part of the light and shade method will be far better for the lizard. It will allow a great gradient of light but over an area that is wide enough to be of use and it gives you thermal control and should save a bit of cash on running costs.

Do a bit of reading, UV decreases in power in huge amounts the further from the lamp light travels and as such you need to pick a lamp that re-creates the wild at the point at which your animal is most happy and of course as part of the light and shade method.

You need to factor the mesh in also.

I can help you if you want. PM me with all the details. Size of viv and a list of any equipment you already have and let's see what can be done

John.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.