Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone wanted to go for a completely black, relatively small snake then what factors would help them choose between these two?

As far as I can see their care requirements are very similar (both very similar to a corn?). Their looks are also very similar (I can't tell them apart :oops:). Size is slightly different (1 to 4 foot for milks and 3 to 5 foot for kings?) and the milks don't start off black.

How do their temperaments compare? How do their prices compare? Are there are other pros or cons for the two?

·
Registered
919 Posts
defently got to be a king asi have one myself and they are great snakes just make sure you get it young to tame it or ull more then lightly have problems unless you get a older one thats bin tammed by the last owner

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
The kings are much more readily available and very cheap if you go to the right places. The milks are a little less common (which I personally like).
The kings are usually much more voracious feeders than milks (though neither are well known problem feeders) which I personally like. There is little to choose between the two in my mind.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
i think you have a few facts wrong, black milks grow a lot bigger, most reaching 6.5 to 7ft in length, and you can tell them apart, as the black milk will be a different colour until its older.

lee
Indeed.

Also the black milks will cost you a bit more.

Sod it.....get them both:rotfl:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think you have a few facts wrong, black milks grow a lot bigger, most reaching 6.5 to 7ft in length, and you can tell them apart, as the black milk will be a different colour until its older.

lee
Really :-o? I'll admit I didn't do a huge search but the caresheet I looked at (Milk Snake Care Sheet and Information - WNYHS) put black milks down as quite small? Now that I've had a look at others though that does seem to be incorrect.

I know milks don't start off black, but as adults they are very similar aren't they?

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
erm i think the adults go completly black, but im sure there is a way to tell the difference except size
i read it on a care sheet, if it comes back to me ill post it.
just read the care sheet on that link aswell and i think its for the sinolian or pueblan, not the black, it is very vague

they are both very nice snakes, but both very different, good luck with all your research

lee

·
Registered
641 Posts
Not all the milks will go completely black as the kings are, there may be some residual pattern or speckling left. The availability is pretty different too, with the MBK's you could most likely have a pair by the end of the week, but the milks will take some looking for unless you know of a source right now?

In short if you wanted a solid black snake, the MBK's would be the way to go out of the species you mentioned... : victory:

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
make sure the mexican king snake has it's documents!....a green card!!:2thumb::rotfl:...ok, i'll bail!!: victory: bad joke!:blush:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
ok...<cough cough> black kingsnakes u will find readily available, are good eaters etc etc...HOWEVER, i am going to be totally biased and big up the black milks coz ive got a pair!!!ha!black milks DO grow big, reaching up to 7feet and need a lot of space,they are not like the other milks such as pueblans(more shy) in that they are constantly active,absolutely fantastic eaters..i searched high and low for my pair and couldnt find any,eventually we had to go abroad to get some..a good site for looking at the adult size is High Sierra Reptiles - The Milk Man i know hes in America but hes got FANTASTIC milks...we will be breeding our black milks next year if you want one...!!!!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
my only regret is not having been able to get any as babies to be able to have baby colouration piccies,but i think ull agree the transformation is fantastic, and i know even theyre not the most expensive thing in our collection,theyre by far the most exciting,,,:no1:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok...<cough cough> black kingsnakes u will find readily available, are good eaters etc etc...HOWEVER, i am going to be totally biased and big up the black milks coz ive got a pair!!!ha!black milks DO grow big, reaching up to 7feet and need a lot of space,they are not like the other milks such as pueblans(more shy) in that they are constantly active,absolutely fantastic eaters..i searched high and low for my pair and couldnt find any,eventually we had to go abroad to get some..a good site for looking at the adult size is High Sierra Reptiles - The Milk Man i know hes in America but hes got FANTASTIC milks...we will be breeding our black milks next year if you want one...!!!!
I see what you mean...that is a giant :razz:. I assume tubs are way out of the question or them then? What do you keep yours in?

And likewise, can the kingsnakes be kept in tubs?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
lol they look huge but theyr only 3.5feet at the moment so still tiny tiny compared to what they should get..mine are kept in a plastic underbed tub(like the ones from poundsaver!)for the time being, and then one they get to around 4.5feet ill move them into their full size 4x2x2 vivs and theyl stay in that for life..

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
They are beautiful - I always fancied a totally black snake but would prefer something larger than the MexiBlack.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts