Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

My friends mice recently had a litter of baby mices!!
Can anyone tell me what is the safe/preferred age before we can permanently remove the babies from mum?

Cheers: victory:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
At 4-5 weeks you take out the boys, and the girls can stay in with mum until they're rehomed (if you're rehoming them) :)

Edited to add: the boys wont be ready to rehome til 6-8 weeks though, like the girls, just you cant leave them in with mum.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 4-5 weeks you take out the boys, and the girls can stay in with mum until they're rehomed (if you're rehoming them) :)

Edited to add: the boys wont be ready to rehome til 6-8 weeks though, like the girls, just you cant leave them in with mum.
How come?
Will they try to breed?
Do you have any tips on how to sex them?
They are soooo tiny and bouncy.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
AFRMA - Sexing 101

I've only ever had one litter of mice, and that was a rescue thing a while back, I used that link to sex mine. My tip - only girls have nipples, boys dont.

Yep, at 4-5 weeks they reach sexual maturity, so you remove them to prevent them getting mum and sisters pregnant.

Hope that helps.:2thumb:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AFRMA - Sexing 101

I've only ever had one litter of mice, and that was a rescue thing a while back, I used that link to sex mine. My tip - only girls have nipples, boys dont.

Yep, at 4-5 weeks they reach sexual maturity, so you remove them to prevent them getting mum and sisters pregnant.

Hope that helps.:2thumb:
Thanks so much guys
we'll give our best shot
: victory:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts