Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title suggests I ordered 10 mice pinks for my small hog nose and they have arrived today and were defrosted, is it safe if I re freeze and use them?

·
Registered
222 Posts
So as the title suggests I ordered 10 mice pinks for my small hog nose and they have arrived today and were defrosted, is it safe if I re freeze and use them?
I personally wouldn't. If you have to order online make sure the seller/ retailer sends frozen by RMSD.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Contact the supplier. It's their responsibility to ensure there is enough dry ice or cool packs in with the mice so they remain frozen inside the poly box. It can be an issue in the middle of a heat wave, but not mid October. If the supplier is decent they will reship your order and claim on the couriers insurance, or just take the hit for the loss.

You could use one of the mice for a feed later after ensuring its fully defrosted, but as for refreezing the remaining nine - no, its not advisable.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You've ordered 10 pinks and are surprised that they've defrosted by delivery?

If you're ordering frozen online, most places state that unless you order a sufficient amount of frozen items, it will defrost in transit.

Don't bother ordering frozen stuff unless you're ordering something like £60 worth of stuff. Or bulk your order out with a big block of something cheap, like a block of chicken hearts if you're ordering off kiezebrink.

If you don't have room or the need for a big frozen order, you're better off going to pets at home or a local reptile shop, as it'll probably stay frozen on the way home.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
:oops: Didn't pick up on that... yeah, they will have defrosted by the time the collection van got back to the depot !

If you are purchasing Pinks then it would be more cost effective to buy a bag of 10 or so from Pets @home or Jolly's

·
Registered
988 Posts
If it was adult mice or something larger it would most likely be fine to refreeze as it probably won't be fully defrosted but no not pinkies.

If you're ordering frozen online, most places state that unless you order a sufficient amount of frozen items, it will defrost in transit.

Don't bother ordering frozen stuff unless you're ordering something like £60 worth of stuff. Or bulk your order out with a big block of something cheap, like a block of chicken hearts if you're ordering off kiezebrink.

If you don't have room or the need for a big frozen order, you're better off going to pets at home or a local reptile shop, as it'll probably stay frozen on the way home.
But yes very much all of this^^

If you don't drive and need to order them online buy in bulk, like bulk bulk

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
If it was adult mice or something larger it would most likely be fine to refreeze as it probably won't be fully defrosted but no not pinkies.

But yes very much all of this^^

If you don't drive and need to order them online buy in bulk, like bulk bulk
The only thing with that is if the person only has one snake, a pack of 10 pinks will last him two and a half months - if they purchased a bag of 100, they would be throwing half a way by then as most will suffer freezer burn, and the snake will have moved on to a larger size food item.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The only thing with that is if the person only has one snake, a pack of 10 pinks will last him two and a half months - if they purchased a bag of 100, they would be throwing half a way by then as most will suffer freezer burn, and the snake will have moved on to a larger size food item.
This is why I reccomended buying a block of chicken hearts or something to help keep it defrosted. Something that'll act like a big ice pack and won't cost too much.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
For one snake it's not worth getting a delivery, as the delivery cost will far exceed what you would have spent in a shop for the same amount.
And as Pets at Home do 6 for the price of 5, you would do much better there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts