Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im thinking about getting a chameleon and im currently researching about them before i make a decision. One of my local pet shops uses mico-climates to heat their vivs and they've told me they are really good. Could anyone please tell me if a micro-climate AHS is suitable for heating a chameleon viv? if not what would u recommend?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, what's a micro-climate? I use a heat mat and a thermal spot to heat my viv which is a desert type with sand on the floor & some rocks. I have a warm end & a cold end and something in between in the centre of the viv.
If there's a better way of doing it, I'd like to know, cos I want the best for my lizzies

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I think the AHS heaters are fantastic for snakes but I wouldnt use them for a chameleon viv as lizards associate heat with light and the AHS produced no light.

A high wattage basking spotlamp in a reflector suspended over the top of the viv is usually best for chams, then you canuse whatever you want to keep the ambient temps up at ngiht (cermic/heatmat etc)

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I think the AHS are good for heating a vivs ambient temp if yo know what i mean but i dont think they are any good at producing hot spots for lizards. You could use one in conjunction with a bulb i suppose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Cheers for your help everyone. :wink: I'll probably just get a full spec bask lamp and ceramic heater then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts