Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to feed my guys now but the mice are frozen, so i defrosted them in a microwave. i first broke holes in the skin to stop it exploin and placed it on a plate in an open bag for two min on defrost setting. at one min, the smell came out, pungent and putrid, cooked mouse.(this smell is horrible, and vomit worthy)anyway, after cheaking the mice, the were thawed and silghtly warmer than my body temp, i took them up, and got a strike out of both of my snakes.

the milk is very secritive, and will only feed (until now) in a paper bag over night with the pink/fuzzy.

the king likes his privacy, and will feed if not watched, and will only strol over and eat (no strike)

xena, who usually stickes, and 'kills' the mouse, was very energetic (scarily so) and missed three times before she got it, (with exitement, and she striked 4 times in around 20 sec)

i think that it is somthing to do with the smell, i can explain what causes this smell, because i did somthing on it in biology, with insects in a microwave, and this knowledge tells me that it is safe.

**edited**
Dan

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah, and and your snake will probably die :p

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oh dear, microwaving frozen rodents is not a good idea...

I'm sure someone will post why in a minute, cos I'm trying to eat Krispy Kremes 8)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
the thing is, your snakes are eating anyway dude...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cornmorphs said:
yeah, and and your snake will probably die :p
i know what causes the smell, and i am sure that it is safe, i wouldnt do it other wise, and i prob wont do it again, i

the geeky biy.

microwaves work by emitting a 12cm wave, which causes particles to viabrate. in cells this will cause partial break-down of the naturally occuring mitochondriea (sp) this relesed enzymes designed to destroy the cell after its denaturing, to make way for new cells. a by-product of these process is gloucosein(sp) philes (pronounced files) which are pungent smelling particles. philes are added to natural gas this gives it the smell, they are also the part that makes onions hurt your eyes(sulphur philes)

this causes the smell of decaying flesh. if the philes are released by breaking the mitochondrial membrane prior to the denaturing of the cell, the smell will occur in perfect flesh. a easy way to break/split the mitochondrial membrane is by high frequency viabrations (ie microwave, ultrasonic resinator)

the reason you dont get the relese of these philes in meat is because they smellyest ones are found in keritin, the substancve the hair is made from, and the epidermis (skin) so without these two factors the smell will not be found.

**edited**

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
dude whats evil about it? i'm just trying to warn you that doing this might result in you killing your snake? sorry for trying to help mate, i wont do it again if it offends you.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know that, but the feeding responce was much much higher than usual, meaning that a non feeder could hasve a higher responce, and actually eat.

it is notable also, that the jackobsons organ is highly sencitive to the presence of philes in the air, and in the wild some speices of snake will eat carrion-the same principle

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cornmorphs said:
dude whats evil about it? i'm just trying to warn you that doing this might result in you killing your snake? sorry for trying to help mate, i wont do it again if it offends you.
sorry that i answered in the way that i did, but i do see a comment like that as evil, and i can see where you are comming from, but i DO know what i am doing. there is better ways or wording it aslo..."that could potentially harm or even kill the snake," "do you know how dangerous that is to the snakes health" would be a start, rather than "your snake will probably die" and i will lay all of my possesions and my life on the snake survivng, and getting a better responce with the next feed, a "normally" defrosted rodent. the smiley was the thing that most annoyed me about that post.

i am sorry for responding in the way that i did, but i hope you can see where i am comming from

·
Registered
641 Posts
Put it this way, do you know any people who eat meat cooked from frozen in the microwave..? :sick:

If it was a safe thing to do then everyone would be microwaving the sunday roast instead of using the conventional oven :roll:

It's not the smell that's the problem, it's the combination of uneven, overcooked and still partially frozen element of the prey items that are likely to lead to regurges in your snakes. The fact that a snake is a non feeder means it's even more likely to have harmful effects from eating rodents 'defrosted' this way...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
How true this statement is, im unsure, but I have read on several other forums that microwaving rodents is not good for your snakes as it may be warm to the touch, but the liquids inside may be piping hot, like a McDonalds apple pie which in turn scars the inside of the snake.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it will kill your snakes as Im not expert just thought i'd add this as It bears some relavance to the topic.

But if you feel its safe and it works for you and your happy, who's to argue.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SCI said:
There is cells in there that will heat faster because there less dense,which could cause hot spots which will burn your snakes insides.
If you want you make a rodent smell use rodent bedding or fish oil
but never heat them in a microwave.
i am aware, but thanks anyway... hence the leave to stand on all micro cooking instructions. i left them for 5 mins before feeding. and they made the whole room smell, and the snakes come to the front of the vivs,

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
talking about the smell, I heated up a rat a bit too much that had been in the viv for the night in a last ditch effort to get mine to feed and the smell made me gag to the point where i almost puked, it struck and squished so hard that it popped all over the viv releasing the foulest smell i have ever had the pleasure of smelling, plus took over an hour to clean up!!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
notably, i eat burgers, sasauges, and other processed meats cooked from frozen in the microwave. i tried steak one but it went rubbery. i had a bacon sarnie an hoyr ago, cooked in the microwave. it is a safe method as long as the food item is cooked throughout, and left to cool to a suitable temp before eating. and the answer to the next question, i havent been ill for over 5 years, and i havent seen a doctor since i was 3 yo

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
given the responce, and the opinions raised, i reccomend that no-one tries this. it may work for me, but may cause damage to your animal.

DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF, UNDER MY ADIVCE I DON NOT RECCOMEND THIS METHOD TO OTHERS ANYMORE.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Defrosting frozen meat in the microwave, unless you are subsequently cooking it thoroughly is a recipe for disaster as you tend to create a perfect environment for bacteria to build up. The stuff you get to cook from frozen tends to be very well cooked, and prepared in a sterile environment to avoid this.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SCI said:
Thats why all those micro dinner tell you to cook for 5 mins,take it out and stir then nuke again.There's parts there that are stll frozen and others that would blister your mouth,so how do you cook a rodent evenly with no hot spots that will burn your snake.
it is not cooking, it is defrosting. if you feed the rodent, you can feel any hard bits (ice), and if you leave to stand, it will allow time for the hotspots to cool.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Good for you, but why risk your reptiles by doing this? I don't see why anyone would deliberately expose their pets to possibly unsafe food items...

Why not just defrost them properly by planning ahead..?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts