Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i wonder if anyone can help?
I brumated my sinaloans over winter put the snakes together and now the female has laid a clutch of eggs this morning.
Could anyone tell me if the eggs look fertile please this is my first ever try at breeding.
I have taken the eggs out and they are now in a home made incubator.
Kept at 28 c
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
I must admit those don't look too good - the waxy-greasy looking shine makes me think of duds.

Healthy eggs, in my experience, have sort of a powdery marshmallow-looking surface, dry and chalky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could the shiny appearance be from the flash?
they dont look as shiny to look at but i must admit they were not powdery.

also should i carry on incubating them or just give up.

Thankyou for your reply's.

·
Registered
17,332 Posts
It wont hurt to keep on incubating them!! If they all collapse and go mouldy then they were not fertile...but...You just never know, cant hurt id say!!??

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The greasy look may be because the eggs are freshly laid. I'd incubate them for a week at least before doing anything irrevokeable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found another egg in the tank today she must have laid overnight again.
i will leave the eggs in the incubator for a week or so unless they are obviously going off.
How long would it take for them to go bad if they are deffinately infertile?

Thanks in advance

Simon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have added another picture taken without the flash and the fresh egg is top right and looks more shiny.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
id proberly say those eggs look alright now tbh but its hard to tell they deffo not as shiny enymore

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
easiest way to do it is get a wee torch and shine it on to them if they are fertile then youl see the blood vessles the first pic they dont look teh worst as they look like they just been laid hence why they are still soft and saggy looking. the last pic kinda looks...it looks better but mind and keep them a little bit moist dont dry them out.. spray tehma lilttle in the morning mind they dent if dry.. can you get a wee light shine it on eggs without moving eggs and take pics of that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi and thanks for the reply's the only way i could get a picture with torch light is if i take an egg out as i have them in a vented plastic container inside a box i have lined with tin foil and surrounded with polystyrene packaging material this is sat on top of a thermostaticly controlled heatmat inside a spare viv i have.
Should i pick an egg out and try a torch on it or?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
if u get a wee torch and put the head of tourch on egg gentle and shine light in the side of egg you should be able to see. you could pick egg up if your very careful mark the eggs so you kno which way they are its vital you dont tip eggs or youl drown teh embryo as it attaches to side of egg when laid x

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok i will try picking 1 out later and take a pic when my lodger is back as i dont have enough hands :)

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i dont have a torch so i cut small hole in a bit of cardboard and balanced this on top of a lampshade and put the egg over the hole.
this was only on there for a max of 10 seconds as i wanted to get it back into the incubator.

There is a bit of a darkish spot would be interested to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance

Simon

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
yeap fertile:) copngrats.. try another but again make sure you dont rol them at all.. get a pen and mark on them so you know which way is the right way

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
that doesnt look too good tbh, but I am not an expert at candling.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
yeap fertile:) copngrats.. try another but again make sure you dont rol them at all.. get a pen and mark on them so you know which way is the right way
oh lol, I was wrong then, I cant see any veins?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
no vein no but you can see the embryo..
hang on til i figure out how to draw on teh pic lol

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
right i dont know how to draw on pic.. but look at the middle of egg.. see the wee dot in the centre not look all around it its like pinky coloured apart from a few mm at the bottom and round the side thats your embryo:) it will get veins ina few days x

1 - 20 of 41 Posts