Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im lookinm at getting a giant african millipede in the near future (once i hav a job to pay for it) iv researched them but would like your help and opinions
1.whats the best thing to keep them in? RUB?
2.best substrate?
3.best food?
4.do they need a heat mat?
5. any helpful bits of advice about them which you think i should know

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
1. I have two, and they're kept in something similar to a RUB, it's more of a faunarium, only bigger if you get what I mean.

2. I use eco-earth, but mixed into it I have rotting oak leaves from the local woods.

3. I feed lettuce, cucumber, tomato and sometimes apple. They tend to eat more of the oak leaves and rotting stuff in the soil, though. I also dust the food with calcium, but you can put a cuttlefish or tortoise food in with them for calcium. I also use a milk bottle lid of water which they sometimes drink from.

4. I do not heat mine, average temps in my house are 68-70F and they are happy and healthy, have been for a while now :)

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
im lookinm at getting a giant african millipede in the near future (once i hav a job to pay for it) iv researched them but would like your help and opinions
2.best substrate?
3.best food?
1 ) Fish tank would be best as the depth of substrate needed is about 10"
2 ) Eco-earth mixed with orchid bark and leaf mulch
3 ) they sift through the substrate so add some cuttle bone crushed to it for calcium and also some fruit and veg on a tray
4 ) Yes
5 ) speak to Josh-Sama, he knows his millis :D

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Uhm. 84ltr RUB for 2. 3ft Tank for 2+

2.best substrate?
Coco Humus / Eco Earth. Soft & loose :) 8" - 10" deep.

3.best food?
2/4 Lettuce 1/4 Mixed Salad Greens 1/4 Fruits (Soft. I.e Mango & Orange)
Added cuttlebone for calcium is also a good idea.

A low wattage heatmat on the side would do well to keep humidity up.

These guys love to burrow and will surface at night to feed. A deep waterbowl filled with pebbles will be a nice touch. Moss and other plants to keep up humidity would be bonus too.

Thanks Snow. I try. xD!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies
iv seen those fanariums they do look like a good place to keep i may hav 2 take a trip to get one
you hav all realli helped as i was abit confused as i read on one caresheet they dnt like veg they only need 2'' of substrate

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Mine mainly eat the rotting leaves and such in the mulchy substrate, but quite often I see them eating lettuce, tomato, cucumber and apple. They definately need a deep substrate; mine have about 8" at the moment. And try and get the biggest enclosure you can, they like to roam. :)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
thanks for the replies
iv seen those fanariums they do look like a good place to keep i may hav 2 take a trip to get one
you hav all realli helped as i was abit confused as i read on one caresheet they dnt like veg they only need 2'' of substrate
That caresheet would dreadfully say, cause millipedes stress and possibly kill the pedes eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Millies only tend to burrow whilst they are sheding and need a good depth to do this, top soil mixed with play sand is a good substrate. I do not offer open water for mine but have moss in all enclosures which is sprayed several times a week. I feed mine mixed salad, fruits and pok choi which they seem to love, cuttle fish bone is also present for calcium.
Millies will hide so cork bark is a good idea. Good ventilation is vital and over crowding is a bad move as these guys can give off a noxious secretion when stressed which can be harmful to them and their tank mates.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
another question
is there anything you cant feed them
or shud only be fed in small amounts rarely

1 - 9 of 9 Posts