Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would much appreciate a little help here with species identification.
Got these beauties just today and the last owner didn't know what they were, so any help would be fab.

first up Unknown 1, to my untrained eye this one looks to be an Olive, the leg colour, which is pale and two tone, tends to make me lean towards the Striped olive Telodeinopus aoutii
???
unknown 1
unknown 1
unknown 1
unknown 1

next up is Unknown 2 which wouldn't uncurl to be photographed...unhelpful ay ha! from what I could see I would guess at maybe
Apeuthes spec. 1 (Thailand banded) or maybe Spirostreptus brachycerus (Earthworm Milli) ?? I am really unsure with this one.
unknown 2
unknown 2
unknown 2

Finally these guys look to be exactly as labeled,
Archispirostreptus gigas (African Giants) if you think any different please do let me know. These guys were mating within 15mins of being in their new tank, great stuff ha!

Giant African
Giant African

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
First species i would agree as being the olive or pink legged milli, im unsure of latin names, the third are defefntly archispirostreptus gigas however i am not sure of the second species. At first glance i was going to say they look like juvinal burmese, however now i am not so sure.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
First species i would agree as being the olive or pink legged milli, im unsure of latin names, the third are defefntly archispirostreptus gigas however i am not sure of the second species. At first glance i was going to say they look like juvinal burmese, however now i am not so sure.
A agree, with you on all of them, but then again it is very hard to ID millipedes. :whistling2: The second one could also be a chocolate millipede, not sure of the latin names. The first one is most likely an olive millipede as well, they are daily common in the hobby.

At least we know the last one is deffinitely A.Gigas. :2thumb:

And with the mating, yeah they do that.... A lot. Mine never stop. The males hang around the food bowl and wait for a poor female to get hungry. :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys....

A agree, with you on all of them, but then again it is very hard to ID millipedes. :whistling2: The second one could also be a chocolate millipede, not sure of the latin names. The first one is most likely an olive millipede as well, they are daily common in the hobby.

At least we know the last one is deffinitely A.Gigas. :2thumb:

And with the mating, yeah they do that.... A lot. Mine never stop. The males hang around the food bowl and wait for a poor female to get hungry. :Na_Na_Na_Na:
Thanks for your input guys most appreciated :2thumb:
yeah alot of species look VERY similar, is a right tricky business,
be nice to get further examples of the two unknowns, thus why I am looking to try and match up the species types.
:2thumb:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
sorry should of said the grey ones a Heliochetus dimidiatus came from junglebugs named as a grey bodied millipede the 2nd one also came from jungle bugs and came from tanzinia as an unknown species

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
heheh lack of latin names is y i went off millies lol

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry should of said the grey ones a Heliochetus dimidiatus came from junglebugs named as a grey bodied millipede the 2nd one also came from jungle bugs and came from tanzinia as an unknown species
Really? :eek: I don't overly care about latin names, I just think they are awesome. :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Thanks for that Adamtitch very helpful, do they still sell any of the second ones? (can't see any of these on their list at the mo) would love to get some more.
Got to admit I agree, knowing the 'names' is nice, but at the end of the day, these are totally awesome creatures, a wonder of mother natures design and it is an honour to have such fab animals in our home :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
am sure he may the guy that owns it is on here coolcroc am sure his user name is and he is realy helpful

1 - 9 of 9 Posts