Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I got an interpet pf mini filter for my tank which is approx 23ltrs in capacity.

I get the impression that the filter is too powerful for the betta as he gets "blown" around a bit and the filter doesnt have a control setting for flow

Any suggestions as to what I can I use to lessen the flow of the filter?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Hi

I got an interpet pf mini filter for my tank which is approx 23ltrs in capacity.

I get the impression that the filter is too powerful for the betta as he gets "blown" around a bit and the filter doesnt have a control setting for flow

Any suggestions as to what I can I use to lessen the flow of the filter?
Could you raise the water outlet above the water. That may reduce the flow under the surface.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That could work actually - never thought of that!
Will need to have a look about, I think some air line might squeeze over the top of the nozzle... do you think putting some foam into the end of the tubing create too much of a back log for the rotor to handle?

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply but to make that kind of filter I would have to go out and buy an air pump - I don't have one.

I already have a filter - it's just too strong for the little guy. I used to have spare airline from my larger tank but can't seem to find it anywhere.

will mooch around :)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
That could work actually - never thought of that!
Will need to have a look about, I think some air line might squeeze over the top of the nozzle... do you think putting some foam into the end of the tubing create too much of a back log for the rotor to handle?
It might burn the motor out.
Have you got any spare twin and earth cable ( the white cable from extension leads ), if you have, cut a piece a few inches long, pull the 3 wires out from it and slide the white tubing over the outlet.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What about a bit of decor positioned straight infront of the filter outlet to diffuse the flow? Pretty little fake plant or bit of bogwood or something? If you position it right, you could probably get a bit of surface movement for oxygen too without it making any noise.

Reactions: markn

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about a bit of decor positioned straight infront of the filter outlet to diffuse the flow? Pretty little fake plant or bit of bogwood or something? If you position it right, you could probably get a bit of surface movement for oxygen too without it making any noise.
I tried that!! poor thing goes into the plant and quickly exits it again!! wee shame!

It might burn the motor out.
Have you got any spare twin and earth cable ( the white cable from extension leads ), if you have, cut a piece a few inches long, pull the 3 wires out from it and slide the white tubing over the outlet.
Got it ;) had to put an elastic band around the end of it so it stays - it is now flowing toward the side of the tank... hopefully elastic bands aren't toxic? :S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.