Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting rossthedon to build me new vivs....and i was just wondering on what you guys and gals used as a minimum for these?

Royal python. 3x2x2?
coastal carpet python 4x2x2?
jungle carpet python 3x2x2?
Red tail boa 5x2x2?

thanks, im going to order a stack so help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? dust? no ..dust? :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my royal is in a 48"x24"x18", but a 36x18x18 would be ok if it stays small.
My common boa is in a 6x3x3 foot viv, not sure if you could go much smaller than 6x2x2 for a full grown boa, dont know about the others.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
From caresheets I've read, height is more important for carpets, so a 3X2X4 high for a JCP, 4X2X4 for a Coastal, but I've never kept one, so can't say whether this is OK in practice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my boa hopefully wont get massive, but if she does ill just have to get her a 6footer, just at the moment space is limited, should be a while before she gets to 8 foot though!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
For Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

4ftx1ftx2ft

or

3ftx2ftx2ft

Unless You Have One Of The Larger Specimens, 4ftx2ftx(?)ft.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
wouldn't have thought you'd ever need a bigger viv than 5x2x2 for a female boa unless she's a very very big one 10 foot +

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Well it depends if you're talking about fully grown snakes.

Different species have different requirements, but as a basic rule, you could say that one snake should happily live in a viv which is:

2/3 of its body length (length)
1/3 of its body length (width)
1/3 of its body length (height)

So, a siz foot snake should be able to live with some degree of comfort in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft. If you're struggling for space, you could even accomodate 2 snakes with the same dims.

But as I said, it's not always spot on. For instance, I've got a 5 ft corn living in a 4ft x 1 1/2ft x 1 1/2ft, and it feels too big for her.

I think you can easily accomodate 2 royals in a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft.

I have 2 6ft boas in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft at the moment, and they seem quite happy in there, specially because there is enough places for them to climb, etc.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Cant speak for the red tailed boa but my largest Royal is in a 4x2x1.5, My Diamond-x-Jungle will be in a 4x2x4 and Coastals get some what bigger than Jungles, especially the females so that is something to consider, where are you getting the stack from? iv thought about getting one from viv builder?

·
Registered
641 Posts
2ft tall is plenty high enough for carpets, any more than that and you may struggle to maintain the proper temperature gradients 8)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im going to use a 5x2x2 for my boa, a 4x2x2 for my coatsal, and the other 2 can wait as they are only hatchlings...or can be upgraded into the vivs the boa and coastal are in which is 40x15x18

1 - 15 of 15 Posts