Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Yesterday when I was away at a friends my gorgeous rescue boy Rhuu somehow opened his Viv and took himself off somewhere, and I have still not found him.

So far the living room has been turned upside down, chairs/sofas/bookshelves/cabinets etc looked over, under and inside, same with the kitchen and my Rat room... my hallway has been ransacked to the point of checking coat pockets and shoes.... tops of bookcases, curtains etc all checked and my stairs, airing cupboard, bathroom etc etc. I am frantic with worry.

I have set him up a basking spot in the middle of the living room floor, put a tub of crickets near it and his fave log to sit on hoping the noise of them lures him out.

He last ate Thursday evening and is a good weight, he vanished sometime between approx 1pm -5pm.

I am scared witless as due to it being a hot day the living room window was open and I live on the first floor, I am terrified he hopped onto the windowsill for some sun and fell out but there is no signs of him landing on the pavement and my local vets have had no injured beardies brought in... I would think even if he fell and a predator took him there would be some sign of him I.e blood :(

Can anyone think of anything I have missed please, I am frantic with worry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update..

Still lost :(

Just finished checking every piece of clothing in the bedroom though I doubt he will go upstairs. Have just stopped for the night, if I dont sleep I will be useless.

A friend pointed out maybe all the furniture moving and commotion is scaring him. I think maybe it could be and who's to say he isn't moving about to get away from the noise.

Have decided to go with partner and housemate out to a car boot for a few hours in the morning - I can't be here and not search it will drive me crazy. I am hoping that when there's no-one in the house crashing around and making a commotion he will come out to bask or at least leave some evidence of being here and alive.

So so so so worried.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Check warm places like behind the fridge? Good luck!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Hope you find him soon :( for now it might be worth leaving some flour on the floor (or some on a piece of card or something if you have carpets) to see if he leaves tracks in it over night, at least then you will know he is still in the house.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I lost my painted dragon once - she turned up on the curtain rail... and we had literally turned the house upside down... the floyr is a great idea... he will probably be asleep for the night now - you're more likely to find him heading to your makeshift basking spot at his usual 'getting up' time... just a thought... good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for the replies...

No sign of him overnight and I put flour all around the basking spot and food but not too surprised, he is most likely asleep... his normal wake up time is approaching so hoping he will come out to find the food and warmth set up when there are no great hulking humans lurking around... worried sick mummy.

If I can confirm he is still in the house then I have a webcam that can be set to record when motion is detected...

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Without sounding to much of a pessimistic I would have thought you would have found him by now. Unlike some snakes for example he's unlikely to look for the darkest warmest spot, curl up and chill there for hours/days/weeks on end, unless he is brumating perhaps? Whenever my dragons are out they're constantly running around the place, not hiding. Sorry to sound so negative, I really do hope I'm wrong I'm just pretty sure he would have come out from hiding by now if hidden at all. As tremerz has said try every warm spot possible, behind vivs, radiators, fridges, washing machines, anything that kicks off heat.

Best of luck to you and I hope he turns up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am back home now and the flour is undisturbed :( I am sure he is in this house somewhere though! I checked up and down the street outside and no sign, I also did the not very nice search for any indication a dragon had fallen from a first floor window and nothing. My partner and housemate are both up in their rooms at the moment so I am sitting quietly in the lounge listening for any scrabbling.
I have been checking the fridge/freezer, oven, viv, basking spot and airing cupboard reguarly...

Anyone know what the chances are of him going Torpid indoors in a house in this weather, I am in Watford, UK.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, was one of the first places I looked.... I have pulled all furniture away from walls, gone through all of my clothes piece by piece, checked tops of shelves and behind dvds, pulled books off shelves, under couches, down side of couches, in drawers and cupboards, under neath anything off the floor or with a space under it, behind consoles and computers, in cabinets, under cushions, laundry basket... airing cupboard over and over, everywhere around his viv...

Each room has been pulled to pieces.. I am at my wits end...

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I really have nothing further to add but I truly hope you find him.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Man that really sucks :( I have been watching this thread ever since it was posted up and I had hoped you may have found him by now. I really do hope you find him, you wait until you find him though and I'm sure his little face will be staring at you with a big smile like "I've been on an adventure!" :')
Good luck in finding the escapee and I hope he's okay!
Keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the basking spot is set up again with fresh food and surrounded by flour so I will know if he has been there... his viv is lit up and open... I have once again searched the lounge (Could not just.. sit)....

I have read stories of beardies going missing for days/weeks at a time so trying very hard not to loose hope.... If I even see some of the food nommed or some tracks I will be the happiest girl in the world.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Any sign would be great news! Hopefully he will appear! Fingers crossed for you.
Ps: I read somewhere you can use a webcam to record when any motion is sensed. Maybe try it in another room or the room leading to his setup? :)
Good luck again. I'm sure he will show up as I said before!

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Have you left his viv open for him? One of mine always gradiates back to her viv once she's had her run around, no matter where in the house she goes she always heads direct back to her viv and alway seems to know exactly where 'she left it'

Also check the odd places, like inside the bottom of the chairs and check for gaps where he could get under floorboards. Look for cool places where he may have gone to sleep, if its cool enough he would have stayed sleeping. Behind the bath panel is also one I've heard of people finding their lizzies.

Just in case, I'd also slip a note under the doors of the neighbours letting them know that he is missing and a pet just in case he turns up on their balcony. make sure to put that he is in no way dangerous and to simply put him into a shoebox or to phone you if they find him. don't want to panic them if they are not lizzy people.

you may also wish to add that if one of their cats have brought him home to please simply let you know so you know what happened. Not nice I know but at least you would know one way or the other.

I'm wondering how he managed to get his viv door open though, not many lizzies have the strengh to slide a glass door. You sure there has not been anyone in the house who may have taken him?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Good luck in finding the little guy :(

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Just in case, I'd also slip a note under the doors of the neighbours letting them know that he is missing and a pet just in case he turns up on their balcony. make sure to put that he is in no way dangerous and to simply put him into a shoebox or to phone you if they find him. don't want to panic them if they are not lizzy people.

you may also wish to add that if one of their cats have brought him home to please simply let you know so you know what happened. Not nice I know but at least you would know one way or the other.

I'm wondering how he managed to get his viv door open though, not many lizzies have the strengh to slide a glass door. You sure there has not been anyone in the house who may have taken him?[/QUOTE]

^this^ i wouldnt have thought a beardie could open a viv door, double check for signs that someone other than you has been in there, especially as the window was left open, dont want to worry you but people are opportunist and some wouldnt think twice about entering a place where the window was open and the tenants out, even to take a lizard. Hope you find the little guy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All,

Re-Him being stolen, the window is a floor up, we live on top of a shop. I was out but my partner was home watching movies, he was wearing headphones so didn't hear any viv sliding but noticed he was not in there when he looked in on him. I did think on it then logic made me conclude not an option.

For someone to have come in they would have had to either walk up the stairs, through the kitchen and into the lounge either past my partner having a smoke outside or past him on the couch - or scale the building, climb in and out without him noticing. Whilst he is a bit oblivious to noise when he has his headphones on he would notice someone walking in.

Everyone around here knows he's missing though :(

We have made the decision.. which is going to be so so so hard for me... to stop "actively" searching till the weekend. By actively I don't mean stop looking, will still be keeping eyes peeled, checking behind radiators and the fridge etc but will not be tearing rooms apart.

The basking spots will remain and a supply of fresh food and we are downloading webcam software to record if there is any motion and we will have this in as many rooms as possible.

The hope is that if he is curled up somewhere scared of the commotion he will relax and come out to hunt...

If he is curled up somewhere dark he may well still be asleep so if no signs this week it is time to dismantle the house again at the weekend.

I am honestly not sure what else to do :(

1 - 20 of 56 Posts