Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought two lovely snails and have been really enjoying them zoom around and munch on the food every night. About 2 nights ago, though, I only saw one coming out to feed and figured the other one must just have been hiding under the moss. When I didn't see him/her for a few nights I have looked in the tank and s/he is completely disappeared!

I figure that I must have left the lid open and she pushed it up on night and is currently hiding somewhere in the bedroom. It's quite heavy but there is no other explanation - have looked through the moss/soil at least 5 times. And turned the room upside down, but she could have gotten anywhere in 2-3 days.

Does anyone know a good way to track down a snail? Put some food out? Some water. Any other tricks? Can they smell?

Also, assuming s/he is just laying low somewhere, and maybe will go into hibernation/aestivation - how long do you think she might survive like that?

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Hi,
I bought two lovely snails and have been really enjoying them zoom around and munch on the food every night. About 2 nights ago, though, I only saw one coming out to feed and figured the other one must just have been hiding under the moss. When I didn't see him/her for a few nights I have looked in the tank and s/he is completely disappeared!

I figure that I must have left the lid open and she pushed it up on night and is currently hiding somewhere in the bedroom. It's quite heavy but there is no other explanation - have looked through the moss/soil at least 5 times. And turned the room upside down, but she could have gotten anywhere in 2-3 days.

Does anyone know a good way to track down a snail? Put some food out? Some water. Any other tricks? Can they smell?

Also, assuming s/he is just laying low somewhere, and maybe will go into hibernation/aestivation - how long do you think she might survive like that?

Thanks,
Matthew
Copy and paste this post in the invert section. I don't keep GALS but I'd imagine a damp box filled with food might help. Not sure how long they'll be active when it's dry.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So with my gals as soon as I put a (shallow) dish of water in their enclosure they go straight for it and end up "sitting" in it, I would suggest leaving saucers out filled with water and making sure you keep your eye on them, hope this helps and hope you find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts