Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need your help, whats the best way to entice a snake out of hiding behind a wall?

Defrosted, slighlty warmed, cooked rat, mouse, what????

I know where he is I just can't get him to come out!!! :(

·
Registered
380 Posts
if you can get prekilled that would be best if not just a defrost, maybe brained, put the mouse half in half out a small hide and put some water next to it too and just be patient he will emerge when he is hungrey!
best of luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but i will need to keep 24hr watch to do that! I dont want him to have his fill and then go back into the wall.

Is there any way I could make a trap??

I think themaintenance man is going to have to break the wall he is behind...

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Maybe you'll just have to wait or get somebody to take shifts with you :lol: Look at it this way, at least you know where he is - mostly they just disappear and you don't have a clue ...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
To make a trap get a 2/3/4 litre bottle depending on size of snake and cut the top off just below the shoulder. Put teh bait in the bottom half and then put the top bit back on upside down and secure in place with tape or something.

With any luck he will crawl in and not be able to figure out how to escape. Not a great trap since a snake probably wont take long to find his way out.

Possibly try covering the sides of teh trap and putting a controlled heat mat under it. Hopefully then the snake will like the trap and stay there. If its too cold he may escape on the hunt for warmth.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
A good method that works for trapping escaped hatchlings is to get a sturdy box or container and cut a hole in it thats just big enough for the snake to squeeze into. Put a slightly larger than usual food item inside (don't go OTT or you will make the snake sick!) and leave it out for the snake to find - the idea is that snake goes in, eats, then can't get out because it's food-bump is too large. Don't know if it would work for an adult but its an idea!

Hannah

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish that would work for a 4 foot adult!!

Look like the tiles are coming up from under the shower tray... and if not the shower tray... and all this is happening in a university apartment, my other girl housemates are absolutely freaking out!!!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
optical illusion said:

Look like the tiles are coming up from under the shower tray... and if not the shower tray... and all this is happening in a university apartment, my other girl housemates are absolutely freaking out!!!
Amusing about your flat mates.

Can I ask how you managed to let a 4 foot snake escape in the first place??

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I'm just wondering if the lure of live rodents would entice him out?

Dont worry, I'm not trying to be cruel here!! Read on!!

Anyone you know have pet mice/rats/hamsters?

I have 4 hamsters and whenever I get Nyoka out, she makes a beeline for their cages... cant beat the smell, noise and movement of a live rodent!
MIGHT just be enough to entice it out?!
Pop them in their cage a few feet from the hole?

I'd be very sure the cage was secure tho! :wink:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No one I know has live, but I'd be very quick to take if they did!!

Enticed him out with a chicken fillet last night! Of all things! Just as my bf was about to grab him he popped back into the hole...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carl24bpool said:
optical illusion said:

Amusing about your flat mates.

Can I ask how you managed to let a 4 foot snake escape in the first place??
Very, none of them would sleep in their rooms last night, thought he'd strangle them in their sleep. :roll:

Long story, usually leave him off around the room as there is nowhere for him to go, this time I left the ensuite open by accident and he got in behind the sink pipes somehow that led to the tank room. Now we reckon he's under the shower basin of the girl that is most afraid of them...

The good news is that there is absolutely nowhere for him to go...

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Time to get the Maintenance Man ... if he's just eaten (can't believe a snake will eat a chicken fillet!!) it'll probably be another week before he wants more ... what a smelly flatmate you'll have :lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, he didn't eat the chicken fillet, just lured him out with it as thats all we could find!! He's hungry all right, esp. if he's stupid enough to go after a chicken fillet :roll:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, after staying up all night watching and knowing where he was (thank god) we cut out a bit of the wall and my housemates shower tray and just kept wiggling a frozen mouse in front of him till I lured him out far enough to grab him, thank god he's a pig!! Had to go straight to the petshop first thing and pick up frozen mice, no time to defrost!

So Milton, thanks for the screaming housemates (and the flak I'm gonna get for next semester), the staying awake all night, the amusing security and maintenance men, the fact that I have a uni exam tomorrow that I haven't studied for, and the stern giving out to, possible eviction I am going to get from the village manager...

However, I care not, as you little f**ker - you're back in mammies arms safe and sound now.

Thanks all for your help guys and gals, yoooo rock!

The things we do for our snakes... :roll: :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I'm so glad.....

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Aww I totally missed this thread. My blizzard (reciently passed) managed to slither into a hole in my wall after BT cut out my old phone wires. I was there an hour with a warmed up pinkie tied to a chair. Thankfully he was quite the monster feeder and came out unharmed :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well management found it hilarious, and weren't going to do anything but leave me off with a warning.

But stupid b***h shower basin girl has told her parents and they rang management and want me outta the apt. So off I go! To nicer on campus accommodation I may add, at no extra cost! I'd love to leave a fake snake wrapped around her door when I leave, just to piss her off further... :eek:oo:

It's attracted media attention and everything!

She had management convinced it was a massive anaconda that could choke and swallow you in your sleep if it wanted, the way she was making my poor snake out... You should of heard the screams out of her - priceless!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts