Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of Mississippi map acting a little crazy?

I always thought they were really shy (apparently being the shyest of maps) - but ours seems to be craving attention!

Whenever we leave him alone and go in the lounge, or go to bed, he comes to the front of the tank and slaps his paws (claws?!) against the water to what seems to be, a bid to get our attention. If we come out to the tank he stops and continues swimming happily round. He no longer jumps off the basking rock if we go near either...

We thought it was maybe because the first couple of times he did this, we fed him, as we tried to work out what was making him unhappy (the filter, heater, set up and water condition are all fine), as thought he was hungry. Do you think he now associates making so much noise with getting food?!

He has recently been separated from the snake neck we had him with (our map may love the company, but the snake neck certainly didn't!) and we are waiting for some more Mississippi maps to keep him company. Do you think he will stop making such a racket when he gets some friends?! Its driving us crazy, we never get any peace!

Sam

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
he may stop with getting more or he could be doing it to get for you cannot say until you get some more then if he keeps doing it then it might be for food

luke

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never realised they were so intelligent though? Its far more like a little puppy! I have a turtle who thinks he's a dog...dear god...

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Hi again Sam.

Your map has got used to you and lost his shyness as most of them do eventually, I seem to remember yours being pretty forward that time I came round anyway!

He's now just begging for food as he associates your appearance with feeding time, but don't give in to him and feed him every time he begs, every other day is plenty. It's in their nature to eat at every opportunity as in the wild they don't know when the next meal is coming, unfortunately their human keepers assume that begging means hunger and they often get overfed leading to all sorts of health problems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He definitely looks like a dog when he starts!

No, we haven't been giving in - no matter how cute he looks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts