Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My kingsnake has mites. I've tried to eradicate them but there are still a few remaining. Iwas reading somewhere that a biological control is available that eliminates the adults, then the eggs. Anyone any details. Secondly, I was handling my Kingsnake, all seemed well until I put him back, he then decided to bite his own tail. Anyone else seen this. He's normally very placid.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Mine do that when theyre hungry.. biting their own tails..... the best way to get rid of the mites is something like frontline watered down... if you search on this forum there a quite a few topics about removing mites from snakes and their furnishings.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I hate mites they took my first Red-sided garter snake from me :(

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Muskieman,

I've eradicated mites from a couple of my snakes in less than a week using OLIVE OIL.

It's a lot safer and cheaper than buying chemicals. Although you cannot treat the viv with olive oil, there are ways to desinfect the viv and get rid of the mites there, on the snake I can't think of a better thing to do.

If you want full instructions drop me an pm and I will be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I tried the predatory mites and they didnt work for me - dont think I got the humidity high enough. Provent - a - mite seems to have done the trick though. (Frontline didnt work for me either).

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Granny, use olive oil and your problems will be solved.

If you're not sure, drop me a pm and I'll guide you through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts