Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a couple of mites around Dracas eyes. I have started treating him by bathing him and completely disinfecting his tank daily. I have been doing this for the past week and haven't seen any more.

I have also stripped all my snake vivs, disinfected them and put them on paper. Everything has either been disinfected, baked or burnt. I have checked the snakes very carefully and haven't seen any sign of Mites on them. So hopefully I have caught it in time. Fingers crossed.

As a precaution, I have put a couple of dog flea collars on the floor outside the vivs in the snake room to catch any adventurers. So i'm hoping it doesn't spead.

Anyway my question is:
I have not seen frontline for sale here in Ireland. I wanted to get some incase my treatment doesn't work. Looking on the web, there seems to be a few differentr frontline products, some for cats, some for dogs. Which frontline product is reccomended for reptiles.

Thanks,

Duzzie

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i used johnsons (for my blue tongues when their substrate was infected!) which you can use on fleas for dogs and cats..you have to get the dosage right an repeat after 8 days..it will only kill adult mites not eggs..

anything that contains permethrin will kill off mites

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I found that instead of taking the tank apart and doing their heads in it works just as well to wipe them with olive oil, it drowns them

If you wipe your animal every couple days, with lizards dab it behind their arms and in the creases it will kill the mites in no time. Sounds daft but it works wonders, I swear by it, and no toxins involved either. Takes a few weeks in some cases but if you get them at the food source they can't wander off and lay more eggs.

Also, found that "Predatory mites" are good with species that live in humid habitats. They feed off other mites and when there are no bad miteds left they die off themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts