Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two GALS keep getting these little white things in their tank, I have no idea what they are but they jump.
I have a feeling they could be a type of mite.
I keep completely cleaning the tank and everything in it, and the snails but they keep coming back.
Is there any way to stop them coming back?
I have never had a problem with them before...

Call
xXx

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I always get them, soil mites I think their called.
If they're the same as my mites, lol, then they are not harmful to you or your snails : victory:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
But... They are running all over them D: And they climb on me when I take them out...
All I can say is I would not be happy with little crawly things on me XD
So I can't see the snails liking it either
-shudder-

Whats weirds is I don't get them with Genie :/ An she uses the same sub...

EDIT:

Plus... The snails are in their shells and wont come out, they are hardly ever never out, and for once both of them are on the floor which is weird.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I'm pretty sure mites don't jump :\

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
How humid is the tank? How often do you spray in there? What do you feed them? What substrate are you using? Do you cook/bake (lol) the substrate before putting it in the tank to kill anything?
With my snails, I gave them a bath, put them in a completely empty container and watched for anything, if i saw anything crawling id get them off and give snaily another bath.
Then put the snails in a steralized tank, with different substrate (cooked) and chucked everything from the last tank away.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eh <,< I broke the thermometer D: Soo I have no idea
I spray every day
Feed mostly cucumber cause they like it
I cooked it the first time but not this time cause I had to do a quick change due to these jumpy things.

Ill try cooking some again for longer and then popping it in the freezer over night :/ Hopefully that will work D:
I wont hold my breath though.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
They sound like collembolans.

They are tiny soil invertebrates that eat waste material and soil. They are often whitish or quite translucent. You probably have several species living quite happily in with your GALS. Some people even use them to keep the tank cleaner along with woodlice, although many people assume they are a sign of a dirty tank.

They are harmless, and not mites or any kind. You can get rid of them by keeping a drier vivarium and cleaning it regularily - in your case, you'll need to change the substrate with some sterile stuff.

I wouldnt worry about them tbh.

Is this what they look like (or similar)?:

Google Image Result for http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent525/soil/soilpix/images/collembolan.jpg

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May be spring tails then.

Have the rest of the bag in the oven now, so hopefully this may solve the problem :/

And mmmm... well they are tiny, around a mm long, even thinner and they jump and move quickly

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Theres tons of different types tbh, thats like the "generic" type. I have a few tiny whitish ones in with my whip scorpions, although they eat them :) They are quite harmless.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok... Well ill bake this for now D:
And change them to coir when it gets here, i really don't like unwanted little buggies crawling on me D:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep... Sounds like it is probably them D:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts