Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has just been given a baby royal python after someone bought it and decided they didn’t want it 2 days later. She has seen mites on it and we just need advice on what to do, have watched YouTube tutorials but we are worried about what to use with it being so young. Could anybody please advise us?

·
Registered
173 Posts
100% use taurrus/predator mites. They hunt down and eat the snake mites, so there is zero risk to your royal python. You order them off the Internet and sprinkle them in the vivarium.

Most of the videos on YouTube will be from the US. They have such a ridiculous love of chemicals over there and few of the products they love to use aren't available over here.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Top right of this snake section there is an option "search this forum". Select it and enter "mites" and then sit down with a cuppa and have a read through all the previous posts that deal with how to cure.

Best option is a spray - directions on how to use it can be found in those search results

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Callingtons mite spray.
Just take out the water dish, spray inside and out and leave for 7 days. Pop the water dish back in after 24 hours.
Repeat 7 days later.
No more mites.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HOTSHOTS is the best for getting rid of mites. Will kill them off in 24hrs. There is a seller on ebay over here in the UK, so search Hotshots pest strip. Its a pest strip, so DO NOT use if you keep spiders or any other insects & it will kill them off. Just open up the plastic cage it comes housed in & cut off 2 pieces about 1" square piece & bury 1 in the substrate & tape the other piece to ceiling of viv opposite end. Remove your water bowl for 24hrs. I always keep a spare pack just incase. Best product I've ever used. Tried everything when mites when through Royal Python collection years ago & nothing worked. Olive oil & paper towels was just messy, mite spray didn't work as they breed & reproduce like rapid fire.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
I've just looked up Hotshots. I would avoid it like the plague. It contains cancer causing chemicals and includes the following warning:

Do not use in homes except for garages, attics, crawl spaces, and sheds occupied by people for less than 4 hours per day
There is a reason why chemicals like these are banned from sale in the UK.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've just looked up Hotshots. I would avoid it like the plague. It contains cancer causing chemicals and includes the following warning:

Do not use in homes except for garages, attics, crawl spaces, and sheds occupied by people for less than 4 hours per day
There is a reason why chemicals like these are banned from sale in the UK.
Anything decent that actually works has some sort of "nasty" chemical in it. Anything in this country is rubbish as they strip out all the Chemicals that actually work, so you end up wasting your money on a product that doesn't work.
Its like anything, if it's used sensibly & in small doses it's fine. Obviously wash your hands after handling it & be careful with it!
I know lots of reptile keepers that use it & never had any health issues. Plus it's in a confined space, so you won't be breathing it in. After a week, remove it & throw it away. Mites will be well n truly gone & you won't of been exposed to it. It's not like you would have them hanging from your ceiling in your home or tucked under your pillow. No worse than spaying mite spray about & breathing it in.

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
Anything decent that actually works has some sort of "nasty" chemical in it. Anything in this country is rubbish as they strip out all the Chemicals that actually work, so you end up wasting your money on a product that doesn't work.
Its like anything, if it's used sensibly & in small doses it's fine. Obviously wash your hands after handling it & be careful with it!
I know lots of reptile keepers that use it & never had any health issues. Plus it's in a confined space, so you won't be breathing it in. After a week, remove it & throw it away. Mites will be well n truly gone & you won't of been exposed to it. It's not like you would have them hanging from your ceiling in your home or tucked under your pillow. No worse than spaying mite spray about & breathing it in.
Isn't the snake breathing it in during that time? Presumably you leave it out of the vivarium for the week? What about others in the same room?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My major concern is the age of the snake, mites can cause anemia which can lead to problems when feeding which leads to a vicious cycle of deterioration.

The next concern is mite sprays like callingtons can cause convulsions and things that look like neurological conditions, similar to thamnine deficiency in garter snakes, with prolonged use.

If I were you I'd try an oil bath (which will make the snakes next shed really bad) and spray with mite spray but leave it for at least an hour or two before putting the snake back in. With the tank make sure there's as little decor as possible as they just become egg laying ground for mites and for substrate use white kitchen paper as you can see mites much more easily.

Make sure you treat weekly or whenever you see mite activity.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You pop in in the viv. But only a small amount. About 1" square is more than ample. Obviously if you put the piece in there, could be bad for the snake, but it's only a small amount. Anything that comes in a chemical form is going to have bad things in it. Whether it's a Deodorant can or a mite treatment.

Yes, oil Bath will work if you have 1 snake that has mite, but you wait till the mite spreads through your whole collection of snakes. In my case it was 14 Royal Pythons that got it. Then its a completely different story. Trying to oil Bath 14 snakes & changing paper towel everyday forcing them to shed is hard work. Mite reproduce every 3 days & you got to break that cycle. That is a very hard thing to do.

I don't want to start a debate on cancer causing chemicals or environmental issues, all Im saying is that its the only thing that worked (for me) when I had a bad case of mites. I was only sharing what little knowledge I have got & what has worked for me. Doesn't mean to say it will work for you or you will agree.

Hopefully you have got the mites sorted now 👍

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dichlorvos has been banned in the EU since 1998 because it escapes into the environment too easily. Once in the environment, it's easily inhaled, ingested or absorbed via skin contact. It's a nerve agent, but doesn't just act on the nervous systems of insects. It's part of the family of chemicals that's been implicated in the rise of ADHD in children since the 60's/70's. Particularly due to misuse in the domestic environment in the US. Like opening the protective plastic cage and cutting up the nerve agent impregnated strip inside. Lol.

I've never used it, even as a professional pest controller, because there are more effective and less dangerous (to both the environment/human health) alternatives available.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
You pop in in the viv. But only a small amount. About 1" square is more than ample. Obviously if you put the piece in there, could be bad for the snake, but it's only a small amount. Anything that comes in a chemical form is going to have bad things in it. Whether it's a Deodorant can or a mite treatment.

Yes, oil Bath will work if you have 1 snake that has mite, but you wait till the mite spreads through your whole collection of snakes. In my case it was 14 Royal Pythons that got it. Then its a completely different story. Trying to oil Bath 14 snakes & changing paper towel everyday forcing them to shed is hard work. Mite reproduce every 3 days & you got to break that cycle. That is a very hard thing to do.

I don't want to start a debate on cancer causing chemicals or environmental issues, all Im saying is that its the only thing that worked (for me) when I had a bad case of mites. I was only sharing what little knowledge I have got & what has worked for me. Doesn't mean to say it will work for you or you will agree.

Hopefully you have got the mites sorted now 👍

Or just use a product that is actually licenced for use with reptiles ie Callington. Treats snake and viv together. Two treatments, 7 days apart, and mites are gone

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Where in the world do you live? - The active ingredient in these products has either been banned or can only be used under restrictive guidelines in most developed countries.

Granted it is effective at killing mites, but equally as effective at damaging the health of the snake, even fatally. This forum is predominantly targeted at the UK, where the product has been banned since 1998, so please stop promoting something that is illegal to get and use in this country.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where in the world do you live? - The active ingredient in these products has either been banned or can only be used under restrictive guidelines in most developed countries.

Granted it is effective at killing mites, but equally as effective at damaging the health of the snake, even fatally. This forum is predominantly targeted at the UK, where the product has been banned since 1998, so please stop promoting something that is illegal to get and use in this country.
So what product do you recommend Malc?

As you are so keen on attacking me more so on a "banned" product that you have been able to actively buy on ebay over here in the UK for a few years now. You could suggest a constructive way to get rid of mite!

·
Registered
10,024 Posts

As you are so keen on attacking me more so on a "banned" product that you have been able to actively buy on ebay over here in the UK for a few years now. You could suggest a constructive way to get rid of mite!
It is banned from use and sale in the UK and EU and has been since 2002 (and banned from professional use in 2007).
Just because you can buy it on eBay doesn't mean it is legal. Its sale in the UK is illegal.
There is a perfectly good product specifically licensed for reptile use in the UK - Callingtons.

·
Registered
30 Posts

It is banned from use and sale in the UK and EU and has been since 2002 (and banned from professional use in 2007).
Just because you can buy it on eBay doesn't mean it is legal. Its sale in the UK is illegal.
There is a perfectly good product specifically licensed for reptile use in the UK - Callingtons.
Okay, I will give this a try if I ever have mite in the future

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
So what product do you recommend Malc? You could suggest a constructive way to get rid of mite!
Please see post #15 - In which I refer to Ians post where he recommend a suitable product....

As you are so keen on attacking me more so on a "banned" product that you have been able to actively buy on ebay over here in the UK for a few years now.
Attacking you!! - really... I asked where you lived for the reasons stated. As the product has been banned for use (as Ian subsequently clarified) in the UK I just asked you to stop promoting it. - That wasn't an attack on you!

As Ian stated, just because it's on EBAY doesn't mean its legal !

·
Registered
12,627 Posts
Callingtons mite spray.
Just take out the water dish, spray inside and out and leave for 7 days. Pop the water dish back in after 24 hours.
Repeat 7 days later.
No more mites.

^ THIS^

Callingtons is fabulous stuff ..

It’s around £20 off eBay and lasts for ages .. thankfully I’ve not needed to use mine in a couple of years but I always have one ready and waiting on the shelf .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 20 Posts