Reptile Forums banner

Mites, Recommended treatment and how to apply. Please.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Issa 
You may not have many, but you definitely have mites. And it only takes a while for them to multiply. Make sure everything in the viv is put in a bleach solution including that vine (they love to lay their eggs in the likes of wood) THOROUGHLY disinfect the viv, and ensure to so it again in about 3 weeks to catch any eggs that may hatch.

I found mine to have a few last week. I bathed the snake in warm water with fairy (head above) to suffocate. Then the next day in a good bit of warm water and a capful of savlon (head above). Has worked an absolute treat so far, haven't seen any since. The cheapest option esp. if you only seem to have a few like I had.

Just be very careful if you're using frontline.

bully74uk said:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but how / where does a snake in captivity on its own contract mites from ?
Asked the same question in my local rep shop because I thought maybe our cat passed them on or something silly but did not get a propper answer other than the snake was probably infected from when you first picked it up ( from them ! ) and that the cat would not be the cause.

I can understand a breeder or someone with a large turn around of snakes having a problem but would like to know where my little baby could have picked them up from ?

Will definately provide some treatment either way just to be on the safe side.

Thanks.
Most definitely had it when you got it, you just didn't realise at the time.

Although some believe it can come in on decor, but I reckon that decor would have had to have been near infected snakes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.