Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
great now i got mitess in all my 15 vivs :( looking to use preditor mites i think seen as i got so many NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Bloody hell mate.. any idea how they got in?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just to add.

I've never seen a mite. Is there any chance of somebody posting a pic of one on a snake so I know what to look out for.

thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
iv found frontline to be the best, its not recomended for anything but cats and dogs but it works a charm on snakes. spray a bit on a damp cloth and run it over your snakes then dilute some with water and clean the vivs hides, etc.. chuck out ALL the substrate, its the only way to get rid of them all. give your snake a lukewarm bath and you will see the little shits drop off. GO ON FRONTLINE, WOOO HOOOO
predator mites would take too long and wouldnt get them all.
good luck mate.
to check for mites look around the eyes, on and in between the ventral scales and any folds of skin eg round the mouth.
it would be too dificult to photograph a mite with a normal camera.
you will know them when you see them (hopefully you never will tho)

·
Registered
380 Posts

Mites on reptiles and remedy (11/10/05). This is the "snake mite", Ophionyssus natricis (family Macronyssidae). This is a very serious, blood feeding pest of many snakes, especially captive individuals. They can be a mortality factor if the owner lets numbers build up in the enclosure. These mites feed only on blood, but remain off the host unless feeding. They can quickly build up a significant population. Keeping the snake enclosure clean is the best preventative.
found a pic and a bit of info on the mite

1 - 6 of 6 Posts