Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at my water dragon now, i've noticed some little tiny white mite-like things running all over her. what could these be? stupidly, i didn't sterilise a piece of cork bark from her old viv before it went into this one. everything else was sterilised. she's so skittish still, i don't really wanna take everything out and bake it again. if i bake the logs will that be enough? is there anything i can buy to treat the substrate without harming emerald?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Are you using a bark type substrate? they sound like little wood mites and if so wont do your lil guy any harm but its well worth removing everything and disinfecting/boiling or baking it. Then scrubbing the viv clean to remove and mites/eggs left behind.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but they won't do her any harm right?? it's just she doesn't like being handled and i'd hate to stress her out by taking her out of the viv and putting her in a box or something. we've only had her a little over 2 weeks so she's still not comfortable with us :(
thanks ever so much though, you've put my mind at ease!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
looking at my water dragon now, i've noticed some little tiny white mite-like things running all over her. what could these be? stupidly, i didn't sterilise a piece of cork bark from her old viv before it went into this one. everything else was sterilised. she's so skittish still, i don't really wanna take everything out and bake it again. if i bake the logs will that be enough? is there anything i can buy to treat the substrate without harming emerald?
I had these a while ago. Asked a few questions on here, did a bit of research - it seems like they're wood mites (I only saw them on the viv, not the WD).

I gave the viv a good scrub and that's the last I saw of them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts