Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people who have kept Frilled dragons with their Beardies. Does anyone else do this and find it a problem?

I was thinking about it so I can get a Frilled Dragon for Xmas and keep it with Nemo. But only if Nemo would be safe with a Frilled Dragon in the tank with her.

It may seem a silly idea... but I was just wondering.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
no you cant do it as beardies need a very dry area and im sure friilys need quite a bit of humidity so it wouldnt be sutable
sorry
manda xx

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have found out, their husbandry is similar, so I'm branching out to the keepers to find out whether it's bollox or not.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Frills need a higher viv then Beardies. Beardies do climb but their more clumsy then frills and Im not sure if beardies could cope with a 4-5ft drop. Like manda says you might have problems with the humidity they need. I think frills dont need humidity high but its still higher then what you would have for your beardies.

·
Registered
632 Posts
NO, NO, NO NO, NO! :lol: sorry but i'm dealing with a frilled that hes been kept with a beardie... he has now in totall had 4 ops.. all amputations, he has 1/2 an inch of tail left,3 toes on his hind right foot and 2 on his hind left, not only that but he's underweight and his frill has been chewed... his owner has now decided to get him his own viv. save your time, wallet and frill and just dont do it!! :(

and as for the humidity, they don't need too much but provide a damp hide (at shed time) to help them shed their toes!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was the sort of post I was looking for. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's exactly what I suspected and needed to hear... otherwise my will power would not of upheld for too long!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
glad to hear you have changed your mind!:) theres no point in me saying anything its already been AND i totally agree with everyone it was a really BAD idea!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd just like to say that it wasn't my idea originally. I know people who have kept them together and wondered if it was a good idea before I followed suit.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yep... although the basic husbandry is the same (they hail from similar regions of Aussie etc), both can be competitive and aggressive species, and a landlocked frill would not be happy, not would a sky high beardie. Best kept apart :wink:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I don't agree with keeping different species in the same viv... even if the conditions are similar..

One might be immune to a bacterial infection, and the other might not, and also.. if the other carries this as part of it's genetic make up, it would end the other in disaster... i really don't know the species you're talking about, but mixing them doesn't sound good to me.

Unfortunately i've been into a pet shop that i now hate, and found 3 baby royals mixed in with lizards (maybe gecko's, it's a while back, and i cant differentiate between what i remember), and i'm sure there was something else as well.. and i think it's wrong. I also know of this person to take in wild caught animals, as he sold one of my friends a wild caught royal (this i can also gaurantee).. so be careful.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Was thinking about gettin a frill to go with my beardie, but its way to risky, you need them at the same size and finding a frill at 22inch wasn't happenin, also here'd that different species shoudn't mix, something about creating diseases when they are ? not sure but i woudn't bother, also i'm being told tortoises can be kept with beardies??? Agen go's back to the diseases tho !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts