Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im getting 2x green/black and 2x blue black of these frogs of a friend and are ment to be 8 months old, he dont know the sex and has heard no calling, i am wondering if i would be ok to mix this in one tank? how bad is it if they were to cross breed? iv heard of people keeping them in groups but dont know if they were mixed. all opinions are welcome
brynn-fish

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
hi im getting 2x green/black and 2x blue black of these frogs of a friend and are ment to be 8 months old, he dont know the sex and has heard no calling, i am wondering if i would be ok to mix this in one tank? how bad is it if they were to cross breed? iv heard of people keeping them in groups but dont know if they were mixed. all opinions are welcome
brynn-fish
Don't mix them and cross breeding is like a swear word in Dartfrog circles!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Brynn Adam has pretty much said it,:2thumb: for more detail have a dig using the search function,maybe 3 weeks back is a thread with more detail,about mixing darts.
regards

Stu

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt want to mix them for breeding purposes but more to save on space lol looks like two tanks are being set up :) thanks for the reply peeps .
brynn-fish

·
Registered
348 Posts
Simple. No

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iv done the two vivs now lol, just put the springtails in to bed in. its nice having two tanks but i then get head ache of the misses :/ ill have to put some pics up for people when i get chance
brynn-fish

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she loves the animals but all my tanks are in the bedroom lol, i used to have a few tree frogs and anoles and things but about 2years ago i had to get rid :( bugged me ever since.. so i started back up about 6 months ago. i normally keep marine and have done for many years doing imports and things but i gave it up when i got my tincs .. marine takes hold of you life worse than phibs if that's possible, an i used to work in a marine shop for 5 years needed a well deserved break .
brynn-fish

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there here :D i think the blue/black are both fems and the other is a possible pair but can never be sure :) they look amazing :)
couple of quick questions will these lay eggs the same as tincs (hut and dish) or in broms?
brynn-fish

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
there here :D i think the blue/black are both fems and the other is a possible pair but can never be sure :) they look amazing :)
couple of quick questions will these lay eggs the same as tincs (hut and dish) or in broms?
brynn-fish
Both, but a hut is the usual way to go.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I tend to put huts with petri dishes and film pots in with new frogs, that way they can decide themselves which they prefer as different frogs have different preferences, even within a morph. ;)

Ade

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Brynn our 2 auratus groups both use cans out of preference cut a white film can in half and pop it inside a black one,this little drawer which sits in the bottom will make removing eggs very simple and you can then incubate and hatch as you wish.It is for sure not the only way by any means,just one that works well for us

Stu

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brynn our 2 auratus groups both use cans out of preference cut a white film can in half and pop it inside a black one,this little drawer which sits in the bottom will make removing eggs very simple and you can then incubate and hatch as you wish.It is for sure not the only way by any means,just one that works well for us

Stu
excellent :) ill be having a play around with that then :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts