Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some background - I've got a breeding pair of leo geckos both are over a year old. I've also got 2 females who are only small, I forget exactly how old but only a few months, they're growing on until they're big enough to go with the breeding pair.

Today I've just bought a new female blizzard to go in with the breeding pair. She lived with 2 other females and a male blazing blizzard in the place we bought her from and is already pregnant.

Would it be best to keep her seperate until she lays the eggs to minimize stress? Afterall I bought her gravid so hopefully we could have 2 baby blizzards before she goes in with the breeding pair (who are just normal and high yellow), so I don't want her getting stressed and lose them.

The only problem is I haven't got a spare tank so would it be best just to put her with the little females (we put her with them and she doesn't seem to be scared of them) or with the breeding pair (although she seems a little scared of the female and the male is even bigger!!)

The only other option I have is, I have a piece of wood to split my larger viv in half, she would be in the same viv as the breeding pair but seperate until she lays her eggs.

Ok, sorry it was so long. I appreciate any help!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
i dont see any reason why you couldnt keep a pregnant female in their with them. but i would say that because you mention she is new......i would keep her seperate because you never know how well she will get on with the other two. thats just my opinion so i would ask some others on here first because they probably have better ideas than i do! lol hope this helps though.
Spoon :-D

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
your new leo should be quarinteened for several months before being introduced to your leos. She could be carring any ammount of nasty parasites, viruses or disease, and quarinteen should be standard practice for any new rep brought in to the home, preferably in a seperate room but definatly in a seperate tank.
I have known people have their entire collection of animals wiped out through not quarinteening and finding out too late that the leo in question had crypto :(

EDIT........ sorry tombraider we posted at the same time :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
i would agree with the rest i keep ;leopard geckos and each time i have new oens i have always quarenteened as it is safer for yuo and your geckos, you could loose the lot if you put the new one in straight away. Im sure that is the last thing you want!! If she is pregnant like you say she is, it is best to place on eh rown anyway, with being pregnant the move to a new environment and to be placed with new geckos straight away alot for a gecko!!!

Hope this helps??

j

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Yep, I go with everyone else.

Never put a new reptile in with current ones.

Even if you know where you got it from. Its just not worth it.

A month or two will show any issues with a leo.

Other than that, putting her with either may work, may not. the older ones may find the balance upsetting, the younger ones may get all the food first as they are faster. Its trial and error really, I would normally say do whichever you want to end up with, as changing again may stress her more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts