Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so what am I doing wrong?

I refresh my Leos' moist hides every day because the moss inside has become really crispy. The moist hides are on the heatmat.

• Am I squeezing out too much water?
  • Would I be better using vermiculite?
  • Should I relocate the hide? (I can't have it half on and half off as there isn't the space)
Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i used to use moss and had same prob! use vermiculite, works for me!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
i use a most hide i wet it every other day but i keep mine just off the heat mat

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
You could try blocking some of the heat from entering the hide underneath.

Anything that retains moisture will work in a moist hide its just an aid for shedding.

Marina:)

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
it coudlb e cos its on the heat mat, makes teh water evapotare etc etc

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I have mine half on the heat mat and half off it spray it in the morning and it stay moist still the next day ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Looks like the girls will be rearranging the furniture!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
dont drain it off to much and it should be half and half on heat mat watch out crickets lay in the then u get pain in the arse micros lol

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I use paper towels, just as I do for substrate. It's easy to clean, you can tell when there's anything that shouldn't be in there and it keeps moist.

I used to keep mine over the heat mat too but it did dry out rather rapidly. I don't keep it on the mat now at all... but with others saying half on and half off... am I doing any harm with it not on the heat at all? Kate seems to love just staying cool in there while Magnum goes in once and a while. I've put both hides (not moist boxes) over the heat though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use little plastic hides for my humid hides. They are made for gerbils and the like. I have elephants and lions and hippos lol. I put the moss in there and put the hide on top of the heat mat. They stay damp for at least 2 days but warm too.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
lol
yeh move it off the heat mat lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine is half on and half off the heat mat. The moss does dry up, but I check it daily for crickets, and give it a turn and a spray if it's feeling dry.

I'm using a medium Zoomed Repti Shelter, but only because they outgrew the last hide and could not fit through the hole! Pinkey pretty much lives in it all the time.

My quarantine tank has a raisin tub turned upside down with a hole in the side.

Horness

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm going to get some vermiculite at the weekend and give that a try, keeping it a little wetter than I have done with the moss, and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts