Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just want some reassurance here,
just went to feed my water monitor and noticed that he had fresh blood around one of his rear toe claws. i picked him up to have a check and the whole claw came off :sad:

i put animal wound iodine on it to prevent any infection and he's going to have it again at regular intervals for the next few days to prevent any infection etc.

As a monitor he's certainly not particularly bothered by it it would seem... what i would like to ask is will it regrow??? i'm hoping so...

i have read yes and no depending on lizard species- any monitor owners got experience of this?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I suppose it depends if he's actually ripped the root of the nail out, time will tell mate!

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
I suppose it depends if he's actually ripped the root of the nail out, time will tell mate!
Yep spot on , although in monitors this happens somtimes but usually dousent affect them much at all

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing, is there anything i should be wary of? or does this just happen?
Its not a sign of something missing in his diet or anything is it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi all, just want some reassurance here,
just went to feed my water monitor and noticed that he had fresh blood around one of his rear toe claws. i picked him up to have a check and the whole claw came off :sad:

i put animal wound iodine on it to prevent any infection and he's going to have it again at regular intervals for the next few days to prevent any infection etc.

As a monitor he's certainly not particularly bothered by it it would seem... what i would like to ask is will it regrow??? i'm hoping so...

i have read yes and no depending on lizard species- any monitor owners got experience of this?
Thanks
I used to own a water and not one but a few had came off his toes after handling him? Did exactly what your doing now (iodine for a week or so) and they did grow back but obviously took a while to do so!
I still to this day have no idea why this happened and it only happened the once???!.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to own a water and not one but a few had came off his toes after handling him? Did exactly what your doing now (iodine for a week or so) and they did grow back but obviously took a while to do so!
I still to this day have no idea why this happened and it only happened the once???!.....
Thanks, thats good to hear!
It wasnt handling him that broke the claw, he did it himself while alone, me taking him out to check the source of the blood was the final straw and his moving when picked him up knocked it off...
He's certainly unaffected by it!
And he has fresh rabbit to eat tonight :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts