Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have not long ago begun travelling around South East Asia (currently in Thailand) and I am currently staying on the island of Koh-Samui. To get the the nearest beach, I have to cross a river and it has an abundance of lizards, which I think are monitor lizards but I am not entirely sure. The largest that I have seen to date was roughly 6feet in length and 1 1/2feet wide. The average size that I am seeing is around 3feet. They are very active in the water. I have been trying to correctly identify them and increase my knowledge of them but have found very little information on line. And pretty much no information to say that Monitors (if that's what they are) exist on the island of Koh Samui. I would be grateful if anyone could offer advice/information, on these lizards and also where else in Thailand is good for lizard/snake spotting :)

Thanks in advance

Sacha

Ps I have more pics if that helps, these two that I have uploaded are my favourite :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
:welcome:Cracking pics, they are monitor lizards, Varanus Salvator. I don't know which species but I'm sure you'll get an ID on this thread soon enough.

Dusit Zoo Bangkok
Dusit Zoo

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
lucky git lol awesome pics:no1:

Reactions: sacha30

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trust me, I feel like the luckiest girl alive :) Will be taking lots more pics over the next couple of days, so will post my favourite ones on the forum.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
They are Varanus salvator macromaculatus. They can swim across seas to distant Islands with ease so it's probably not a surprise that they are there. Great photos, I'm very envious. Do you have any more to share?

·
Registered
13,321 Posts
They are Varanus salvator macromaculatus. They can swim across seas to distant Islands with ease so it's probably not a surprise that they are there. Great photos, I'm very envious. Do you have any more to share?

Yep agree with Barlow there they often swim around the islands there :no1:

Reactions: sacha30

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
im liking monitors more and more just wish i had the space for one :devil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have loads of pics and still taking more :) tried to upload last night (Thailand is 7hours ahead of UK time, will give it a go again tonight :) Thanks so much for the info and any ideas as to whether I can link posts so that when I upload some more pics I can link them to this post? Am new to the forum, so still trying to find my way around?!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
f you put up your photobucket page we can view it when we want or you can put all the photos on here

·
Registered
1 Posts
monitors koh samui

hello
I am currently on Koh Samui. I saw two of what i believe are the above monitors the other day in the disrict of Lamai. (about 17th August 2012). They were HUGE - at least 2 metres, up to 3. At first I thought a human was swimming across the water in a very lazy fashion, then when i caught up to it i thought it was a crocodile! As he turned his head i realized not so, but a lizard. This one had been swimming in the water, and another one i was in the jungle a little further up from it. (his girlfriend?).
I got some pictures of him, but you cant really tell the size from it. If you like I can tell you exactly where i saw them, not sure if I should randomly put up incase of any lager lad inclined who might harrass or harm them.
katherine

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi

I have not long ago begun travelling around South East Asia (currently in Thailand) and I am currently staying on the island of Koh-Samui. To get the the nearest beach, I have to cross a river and it has an abundance of lizards, which I think are monitor lizards but I am not entirely sure. The largest that I have seen to date was roughly 6feet in length and 1 1/2feet wide. The average size that I am seeing is around 3feet. They are very active in the water. I have been trying to correctly identify them and increase my knowledge of them but have found very little information on line. And pretty much no information to say that Monitors (if that's what they are) exist on the island of Koh Samui. I would be grateful if anyone could offer advice/information, on these lizards and also where else in Thailand is good for lizard/snake spotting :)

Thanks in advance

Sacha

Ps I have more pics if that helps, these two that I have uploaded are my favourite :)

some decent pics there, always good seeing them in natural habitat :2thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts