Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right i have asked this question many times on other forums but i will see what you all think. I wanted a monkey last xmas and my dad went to buy me one. The problem was in the pet shop that was selling it the monkey would not go near the man. My dad was thinking that if it wouldnt go near him then it wouldnt go near me. He came back and asked my granny to phone round our suppliers (we own a pet shop) and ask them do they know anybody with experience with monkeys.They gave my granny a phone number and she rang the place up. The woman said she wouldnt suggest one as she has been in hospital several times as they have attacked her. Can monkeys be friendly?? Does anyone on this forum have one or know somebody who keeps them? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
in costa rica the capuchins used to pelt us with fruit for fun.....

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
where abouts are you?

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
i agree with that. really dont understand how people can think they can house a monkey :-x
I agree. Its disgusting. All these people who are keeping snakes, lizards, monkeys, cat, dogs as pets.

Its shocking and cruel.... How can it be natural! :lol2:

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
a monkey is not a pet in the true sense of the word, they shouldnt be housed alone, and they need a large aivary with indoor and out door sections, and precise diets and care, definately not something to be taken on lightly or without alot of research.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
think about it monkeys are alot like us. He/he wouldnt just come up to u its like someone you dont know coming up and asking for a hug.
I agree. Its disgusting. All these people who are keeping snakes, lizards, monkeys, cat, dogs as pets.

Its shocking and cruel.... How can it be natural! :lol2:
well its easy to keep those animals. if you do something wrong with a monkey its like with a child they could get mental issues. i know it sounds strange but its happend theres been studies. They also need bigger space than a dog, cat, lizard, snake watever. you can also over feed them without knowing, they also need alot more stimulous than other animals. If someones willing to pay that much on a good sixe enclosure, big bits of wood and things to climb on, another monkey to keep it company because they can get depressed if there alone. so if someones willing to do all that then its alright but seriously u need to do a hell of a lot of research and go to zoos to see what they have done. but if youve got alll the time in the world then it should be ok.
xsachax

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
If you have the space for a colony of monkeys (2 at a bareminimum), for them to have a realistically sized outdoor environment with indoor shelter (not the living room!) and plan on offering them the right level of interaction whilst not encroaching ont hier natural instincts then fair play.

I don't feel that monkeys should be kept as "pets" they don't just have environmental needs as most other animals do, they have psychological needs which can be exceptionally dificult to meet.

I don't wish to sound harsh in any wya or but maybe think about somehting similar yet not as difficult to maintain such as sugar gliders?

Apologies if you take offense by the above comment but I feel that you can get the right level of interactio with a glider without hte possible effects of the slightest thing being a tad out and causing severe problems as it would with a monkey :(

You would do better speaking to Rory or nerys form here about it also - Rory deals with monkeys but has a very strict code of practice (perhaps one that should be adopted by more exotics suppliers) over the sale of primates as far as I know :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've kept monkeys (tamarins) and I keep sugar gliders and I would in no way agree that suggies are easier to keep than monkeys.

Monkeys don't make good pets, they do need as has been mentioned before a large enclosure, indoor and out, company (another monkey of the same species), a well balanced diet and plenty of enrichment. They are intelligent and very dextrous, some primates (I prefer primate to 'monkey') have been known to open windows. I especially wouldn't get a primate from a pet shop unless you're 100% sure the information they've given you is good. I know of a shop not too far away from me that used to sell marmosets and a hamster cage, and tell new owners this cage was sufficient!!!

You also need to consider human illnesses, did you know the common cold can kill a primate? There are many illnesses that we can transmit to them and although they're not serious in humans they can kill primates, even a cold sore is dangerous!!

Please, please research before you go ahead and buy your 'monkey' else you could end up with more than you bargained for!

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
you have to know what you are doing and be able to spare no expense although a friend of mine had a squirrel monkey that was a joy.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Apologies if my comparison offended you Marie :(

I was simply trying to state that there may be better choices available for some keepers as a stepping stone to being prepared for the care levels a monkey species would need.

I have never kept monkeys so can't comment on a keeper level :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nooo, you've not offended me :smile:, I just don't agree is all, what with calcium:phosphorus ratios and all, a suggie diet is actually MORE complicated than a primate diet. I've kept primates in the past and I still keep suggies and I can honestly say more work goes into my suggie diet, which is why they're sooooooooo darn healthy :grin1:.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
It wasn't just the diet side really I meant chuck - do you find the care level in general and the basic requirements space, interaction and such are more difficult for the primates or is it easier with them?

As I say, I have never kept primates so don't know the comparisons at all :)

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Animals that cannot be fully domesticated and pose a risk to human life and or health should not be kept as a domestic pet.

I am sickened by the amount of people that think certain animals are "cool" to be kept in the house with little or no regard to the needs and requirements or that animal. Monkeys require the company of others of their kind. They do not always bond with humans and no one without training should be attempting to keep them.

They can also inflict very vicious dangerous attacks on humans. Even the little ones are capable of serious wounds with little or not provocation.

Please leave it to zoos and sanctuaries.

Marina:)

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
you dont know though that he hasnt got a decent set up theres nothing to say that private primate set ups here in the UK are not going to be as good and better than zoos. Some people have amazing set ups in their private collections.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
The phrases "my dad" "for xmas" "do they know anybody with experience with monkeys"

Come on doesnt take a genius to work it out he clearly doesnt have any knowledge on the subject matter.

Marina:)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
i agree with what was said above if you had experiance you would not ask about what has been asked and they have not looked into it as they would no monkeys need other monkeys

1 - 20 of 74 Posts