Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it finally.

6 of these slings arrived at my door today and I'm over the moon. I had apprehensions initially but have been observing another commune and it's progress so I let these go into a 8oz (I think) deli cup and they look fine. No sign of aggression at all and when they meet on their wanders they stop and touch each others legs and then carry on. Pretty interesting so far and it's only been two hours.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to introduce my single Balfouri which is around one moult ahead of these and has been living alone for around 8 or 9 weeks. Everything I've read so far says there shouldn't be issue but I'm thinking I should let these little fellows settle in a bit?

Any thoughts from anyone who has tinkered with these in communal settings would be appreciated would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I fancied trying this with my two but bottled out ,keep us informed this could be very very interesting.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I wouldn't advise putting the other one in if its been used to a solitary life pal, I would think in two months of living by itself it may have become used to hunting live foods and may cause problems.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wey, this is what I'm thinking as well but they seem so accepting. I want to say tolerant but after reading another thread on these and the observations made by the guy I'm erring in the camp of acceptance. I'll decide in the next few days on what to do. It might even take an introduction when they're all a few moults bigger and I can get a big enough tank for them to enjoy plenty of space.

It's going to be interesting times watching them do their thing sure enough.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Not a big fan of the species, but I'm looking forward to hearing about these.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nice work mate! :no1:

But where are the pics? :hmm:

:lol2:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No pics yet pal, I'll see if they're out and about tonight when I get home. I'm in for a new camera soon as well as I only have my phone at min so pics are crap, I need more mega pixels and a macro setting, gash....!

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I thought I'd try feeding today. Got home to find all 6 still alive and settling in, substrate webbed and one of them in hiding, possibly going to moult as it has a pretty shiny pink bum.

I put in 3 small dead crickets for the others to see what would happen and if they would "share" I found all 5 eating an hour later. Pretty good to see as I had read they might do this. I think the reason I'm more surprised is because they've been separated for a while and have just taken up residence together again (assuming they're are sac mates) without any apparent issue.

I'm not going to introduce my other sling at this time, I'm going to look at doing this when they are all juvenile depending on the ratio of males to females. At the minute though he's going to have to kick it in his own house..

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
well done kris

i have a commune of 3 of these, hardly see them, but the webbing is fantastic

cheers Kev

Reactions: kris74

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
So, I thought I'd try feeding today. Got home to find all 6 still alive and settling in, substrate webbed and one of them in hiding, possibly going to moult as it has a pretty shiny pink bum.

I put in 3 small dead crickets for the others to see what would happen and if they would "share" I found all 5 eating an hour later. Pretty good to see as I had read they might do this. I think the reason I'm more surprised is because they've been separated for a while and have just taken up residence together again (assuming they're are sac mates) without any apparent issue.

I'm not going to introduce my other sling at this time, I'm going to look at doing this when they are all juvenile depending on the ratio of males to females. At the minute though he's going to have to kick it in his own house..
This is a great thread ,wish i'd put mine together now as its good to see someone trying something that would happen in nature .

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well done kris

i have a commune of 3 of these, hardly see them, but the webbing is fantastic

cheers Kev
Cheers dude.

This why I want to try for a bigger community. I'm thinking the more the merrier from an activity point of view although it will probably mean just more holes to view in the day time and staying up late to catch any goings on.

This is a great thread ,wish i'd put mine together now as its good to see someone trying something that would happen in nature .
Thanks mate, I've been taking my inspiration from someone else as he is about 18 months or so in to a balfouri project. He lost a number of successive slings in the early stages due to pulling the sacs and has just been leaving them in now and letting everything just happen. It's been noted that the slings that stay with the parent seem to develop much better and look healthier than the 1st batches that were separated and sold. The photographic evidence show it pretty clearly. The biggest question left unanswered was whether or not my lone sling would go in with the others and I'm just not ready to try that yet. From what I've read and saw so far it shouldn't be an issue but you know how it is, safe than sorry and all that.

Next year I'm going to try hard to get hold of an adult female to try breeding and see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck with these, but sort yourself out and get some pictures up!
I'm trying to secure a camera this week as my phone just isn't up to the job. I have no money so trying to sting my less fiscally challenged sister to coke up with the goods! I'll see if I can snap off a few cheeky ones later today just for the crack :)

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll bring mine over for some pics if you want :)
It's not brilliant, but it's quietly capable.
It's like the Jam song now mate, going underground, checked them last night and they've retreated under the bark! Left it too late as usual although they may come out for a bit of bait, i'll feed again tonight and see how they go. Cheers for the offer though bigman

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just checked on the commune and found cannibalisation. I have 5 left and the biggest one was munching on the smallest one unfortunately. This is sadly the end of my commune experiment with these slings. They are to be separated tonight as soon as I've eaten some tea and sorted out some pots. Sickener really as I really wanted this to work.

As it stands, one of these was given free so no money was lost but its pretty strange seeing one of your prize sling getting its nom on with another prized sling.

Meh.

I'm going for a breeding pair next year if I can find one and I'll go communal with the babies of that and see how that works.

I'm now off to hang myself, I may be away for a while

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
that sucks, such is life though

don't hang yourself

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha, they'll be sold to fund the after life party! Just separated them, sad really but what can ye do.

I think the one that got chewed had just moulted as there was a cast skin there as well. Probably just got taken for dead food and they hadn't yet established a burrow. Screwed if I'm risking any more, couldn't justify it financially.

I still have 6 balfouri though....Winner!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts