the way i did it was:
keept handling with gloves
feeding by hand to show that ur no threat
and perseverance
gd luck :2thumb:

·
Registered
241 Posts
a way i heard was sit in a empty bath and put him in there with you and just read a book or laptop an after a while he will start becoming more friendly

·
Registered
175 Posts
having the same prob with mine m8. had good progress today thou. usually she runs and hides soon as i put my hand in, today i put my hand in flat on the ground palm up with a mario worm on it. she came all the way from the other side eat the worm from my hand, had a lick on my hand then chased a locust into the bush:2thumb:. also make sure your hands dont smell of any food. she/he needs abit of time to get used to you so take it easy on er.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Feeding by hand is a quick way of you Bosc associating your hand with food, take a guess what will happen when you stick your hand in the viv and your Bosc is hungry and a little larger.

Handling him before he is ready will only scare him and prompt a defensive action. If you scare him he'll remember it and break the trust bond you need to earn.
Give him plenty of places to hid and a good substrate to minimise stress and he'll be alot happier and likely to want to interact.

This is what i did with mine.
Leave him settle into his viv for a month just do the maintanence don't try to handle at all, then offer him the back of you hand that way he cant take a chunk out your fingers, he'll pick up your scent.
Leave your hand in the viv and let him come to you he'll get curious and when he starts climbing over you he get himself used to you. I sat by the viv and read a book or watched tv.
Once he's no longer afraid of you try and lift him slowly using one hand underneath his chest, depending on his reactions you can do more little bit by bit.
Getting this far took me 10 weeks odd.

Mine nipped me when he was about 9-10 weeks old and drew blood.
He's now near just shy of 2 ft and could probably remove a finger but he's quiet tame i tong feed only and can pick him up without drama.

For a more experienced point of view get on the Monitor & Tegu thread and ask.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just re-read your first post how big is he/she mine is just over 22 weeks so 5 1/2 months and 22inches, so tong feed if you like your fingers.
And let him/her get used to you first before trying to handle, @7 months he/she's probably a fair size so dont push too quick, take your time let him decide the speed and if in doubt bribe with food.:2thumb:

Good luck

·
Registered
793 Posts
im just abit worried if he bites me that it will hurt and hes only little so i got time to sort him out i just hopes that he dont bite me hard has im lady :lol2:
If your worried about fingers curl your hand into a fist so he can't get your fingers, he shouldn't have a go at your fist as its to big to get his mouth around to get a decent bite.
Always keep hands clean - i try to have some wet wipes handy.
Offer the back of your hand for him to scent.
i even left my tshirt that i'd worn in there for him to get used to the scent of me for a few hours.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I waited until treat days! it was the key for me.
Made up some scrambled egg or boiled egg or chopped pinkies/chicks, fish. stuff like that. put it on a dish and as he was eating and well in munching mode, i slowly started stroking his back and just took it from there :2thumb:
Apart from wanting to get down for an explore, i have no probs picking him up : victory:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Apart from wanting to get down for an explore, i have no probs picking him up : victory:
LOL Rexx is exactly the same but usually buggers of in a corner to take a dump luckily i've got a wooden floor.

I only let him wander if he's already done his business, because it proper stinks.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
LOL Rexx is exactly the same but usually buggers of in a corner to take a dump luckily i've got a wooden floor.

I only let him wander if he's already done his business, because it proper stinks.

yup it does :lol2:
Lucky for me, mine only poo's in his water tray :2thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.