Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story
My mantis has not eaten for about week. I put a Locust in about week ago but because he was about to shed he wasn't hungry. My Mantis finished shedding on saturday, but because the locust stays still (even though its alive). My mantis doesn't attack it. Today i when't to buy some locust's but they didn't have anything except some Morio Worm so i bought them.I put 1 in the tank and he when't for it immidiatly but couldnt get through its exoskeleton and let it go, now my mantis refuses to go for it and even goes into its defence stance. I tryed going into my garden to get some insects but couldn't find anything except some wasps which stung the crap out of me.

Question
Is there anyway to make the morio worm edible like weaken its exoskeleton somehow?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Im pretty sure that morio worms moult aswell right? If this is the case, the reverse the tables.

Wait until you see a freshly moulted morio and then try it! (if im right, then you should notice a very soft exoskeleton and more pale than normal)

The only problem with this is that if you dont have a viable amount of morios at one given time, you will have a hungry mantis. But good luck amyway.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Basicly feed the worms some greens like salad and they will moult when they are pale white feed them to ur mantis thats what i done with my spiderlings. But i find wax worms are better more nutritious to.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Get a blue bottle culture then put them in the fridge to slow them down and take 1 out to feed. Mantids go mad for things that fly. Or try and find a moth.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nah simpler is to buy a pack of wax worms let them pupa then turn into moths and they will go crazy. My avicularia sp "kwitara" male loves hunting them . He probely things hes back in the wild

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nah maggots are worse then wax worms they really do smell bad. Where wax worms arent to bad

·
Registered
423 Posts
My tarantulas hate crickets only seen one eat one. When it comes to cockroaches and wax worms they love em

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help im on morio shedding watch now. I managed to catch some metalic looking flies from my garden then i froze em, put them in the tank an they came back to life and got eaten yay. My mantis wont catch any bugs from these flies right?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Thanks for the help im on morio shedding watch now. I managed to catch some metalic looking flies from my garden then i froze em, put them in the tank an they came back to life and got eaten yay. My mantis wont catch any bugs from these flies right?
There is a risk yes.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Yup there is a risk but its a small one

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright thanks i wont feed him anymore flies, I fed him a wasp just now though. I saw some youtube vids of mantids eating them so i figured it would be alright. The wasp was trying to sting but i dont think he managed to after the mantis ripped his head off.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Alright thanks i wont feed him anymore flies, I fed him a wasp just now though. I saw some youtube vids of mantids eating them so i figured it would be alright. The wasp was trying to sting but i dont think he managed to after the mantis ripped his head off.
I wouldnt feed a wasp to one just flies. Thats a bit mental :S

·
Registered
423 Posts
I used to feed my baby baby tarantulas ants lol it worked until i could feed them bigger prey

·
Registered
423 Posts
You know the big bum ants are thoose future queens as i just let my cat eat them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts