Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok eddie(the leo) is sorted and happy in his new enviroment,he loves waxies and hoppers big time,wont touch the original diet of mealworms which i was told he would only eat,hes only eating 1 hopper and 1 waxworm a day but i put more hoppers and crickets in he just wont eat them,so hes obviously had enough my question really is does anyone have any info on these morios??? the pet shop said try them they are better than meal worms,which by the way can hold their breath and not die when eaten,so im told,rank!!!!,but he will not even sniff it,they are crispy and bury straight away,my son says they bite,they dont bite me as i squeeze them in tweezers but does anyone feed their leo these with success? ive not read anything about them and noones suggested them,ive got loads left but try as i might hes not having any of it,should i bin them?does anyone have any use for them?could send them in post i guess if need be. :shock:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
for a start, they do bite, and they have quite a sharp bite so most people crush their heads before feeding. i wouldnt give them to a leo because theyre a bit big and a bit too hard shelled for them in my opinion.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i feed them to my beardy, but shes a bit bigger than a leo, i always crush the heads of morio and meal worms, i've heard too many stories, including one of a worm eating its way out of the stomach after being eaten :?:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Leo's should be mainly fed on crickets really. Locusts are very addictive and could stop you leo eating anything but the locusts. There calcium/phosphorous ratio is also much lower than crix so you have to be careful with the calcium supplements.

On the subject of mario worms I'd suggest that they are far to big for leos. They are basically the same as mealworms but much bigger. Mealies shouldn't also be fed as staple as they are 1. hard to digest and 2. they are not very good nutritionally either.

When I first had my leo it took him quite a while to settle in TBH. I think it was a good 4 mths before he started wandering out to see me etc. He wouldn't take anything but brown crix but now he stuffs crix, waxies, hoppers, mealies the work.. just need to be a little patient :wink:

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for that advice,been hard to get crickets locally over christmas so his main diet has been hoppers,altho i know he would eat as many waxies as youd give him hes never eaten more than 2 hoppers at 1 time,because of this i feed him daily,im off to get some crickets today so i hope like you say hes not been spoilt on hoppers and wont eat them,i thought it was either as good but im wrong again,never considered crushing their heads but ill try if not the local birds will be getting a morio breakfast,seems my son was right he kept saying they bite me im not touching them,i told him not to be a la la :oops: hes only 10 bless him ha ha will crush mealworms too tho hes gone right off them........could be the hoppers as to that reason but ill be growing some of my own now so he will be getting mainly crix for now and ill let you know how it goes,why do they all love waxworms so much? is there anything like that i could try thats abit more healthy for him,ive heard about butterworms,silkworms and regular maggots but need advice as my pet shop is clearly pants

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
there was a debate on maggots not so long ago... no one could really decide but some stores colour the maggots which isn't good!

You could use pretty much anything to vary the diet butterworms, waxies, mealies, roaches, crix, locusts, earthworms but another superb feeder is silkworms! They are very expensive though but nutritionally much better than crix with no outer hard shell..... The reason crix are mainly used is because they are plentiful and cheap

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
most tackle shops do maggots dyed and undyed so u shouldnt have aq problem, and the dye shouldnt be harmful anyway, as fishermen want to preserve the fish they fish for, not kill them off.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Blazey said:
most tackle shops do maggots dyed and undyed so u shouldnt have aq problem, and the dye shouldnt be harmful anyway, as fishermen want to preserve the fish they fish for, not kill them off.
Maggots are for fresh water fish which you let go anyway! Sea fish you keep and eat which are not caught on maggots. Salmon are caught on flies....

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well just been and bought some cricket and hopper tanks,filled them with egg boxes,grated carrot,apple and rocket leaves(bloody crix know good livin!)and put some babies in there,so hopefully he will eat the crickets and not just the hoppers,they dont sell silkworm at my petshop but i did complain that they didnt explain about the morios biting :x i may try and source silkworms from somewhere money is not an issue ive sold my soul to fund this :lol: didnt realise when i bought a leo i wasnt buying 1 pet i was buying 100s(the bugs!!!!!)do you crush the maggots first as with the mealies?

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for silkworm info,seems pretty much out of stock unless i buy tiny 1s,do you grow them like hoppers?so so so much to learn,hes eaten a cricket but not as quick as the hoppers which dont get chance to hop anywhere,i just feel 1 cricket is not enough whereas 1 big hopper seems filling,oh i dont know,what should i expect him to eat roughly per week,ive heard ppl do 5-6 crix every other day at this rate he will only be eating that each week.........am i fussing too much?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
exactly gaz, they let the fish go to fish them out again, they arent going to kill their supply of fish by poisoning them with dyes :p

·
Registered
457 Posts
welshgaz said:
Blazey said:
Maggots are for fresh water fish which you let go anyway! Sea fish you keep and eat which are not caught on maggots. Salmon are caught on flies....
not always true, you can eat fresh water fish, its just illegal to keep alot of it.lol

some of it is quite nice though - taken from proper sources :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts