Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i have had Morla for a month now, she still scratches at her indoor enclosure, i know that when they are first introduced to their new homes this happens but i thought she would be settled by now, is this still normal?

she is eating fine and everything else seems ok

i let her wonder round the house (which has been tortoise proofed) and when the weather is warm enough she goes outside

thank you in advance for any advice

Gemz : victory:

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
hello,
i have had Morla for a month now, she still scratches at her indoor enclosure, i know that when they are first introduced to their new homes this happens but i thought she would be settled by now, is this still normal?

she is eating fine and everything else seems ok

i let her wonder round the house (which has been tortoise proofed) and when the weather is warm enough she goes outside

thank you in advance for any advice

Gemz : victory:
Can you explain what you mean about scratching her enclosure please?
How big is the enclosure?
How big is the tortoise?
What temps have you in the enclosure?
Letting her walk around your house is not recommened, as they can pick up things we cannot see, such as hairs. Its also a lot colder at that level:0)
Sorry for all the questions, but we need a bigger picture to be able to help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you explain what you mean about scratching her enclosure please?
How big is the enclosure?
How big is the tortoise?
What temps have you in the enclosure?
Letting her walk around your house is not recommened, as they can pick up things we cannot see, such as hairs. Its also a lot colder at that level:0)
Sorry for all the questions, but we need a bigger picture to be able to help.
she is scratching at the walls, as if shes trying to get out, she kinda climbs up the wall
her enclosure is 4ft long, 2ft wide and almost a foot high
she is about 5"
when you say at that level, her table is on the same level as in it's on the floor, is that a problem?
i've been letting her walk round the house so she gets enough exercise due to the weather not being brilliant she's not been outside

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
she is scratching at the walls, as if shes trying to get out, she kinda climbs up the wall
her enclosure is 4ft long, 2ft wide and almost a foot high
she is about 5"
when you say at that level, her table is on the same level as in it's on the floor, is that a problem?
i've been letting her walk round the house so she gets enough exercise due to the weather not being brilliant she's not been outside
The lower things are to the ground, and temps will be lower, or harder to keep higher. As heat rises.
If she is five inchs, then the enclosure could be a little on the small side.
Where did you buy her please?
As if she came from a petshop or the like, she could be used to a lot more space, and one of the reasons for climbing the walls is space. Also to hot or too cold can make them do this too.
What are the temperatures in the enclosure?
Under the light/heat and the end where there is no extra heat?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower things are to the ground, and temps will be lower, or harder to keep higher. As heat rises.
If she is five inchs, then the enclosure could be a little on the small side.
Where did you buy her please?
As if she came from a petshop or the like, she could be used to a lot more space, and one of the reasons for climbing the walls is space. Also to hot or too cold can make them do this too.
What are the temperatures in the enclosure?
Under the light/heat and the end where there is no extra heat?
oh, i though it would be big enough? oh poop :(
i got her from a breeder and the enclosure she was in both indoors and out wasn't much bigger than mine, I've not got thermometer to check temps yet, she has her basking light which is on all day

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
you need two thermometers preferably with probes, one for the cool end and one for the basking area, without these you have no idea what the temps are. The cool end wants to be around 20c or room temp through the day and the basking 30 -34 approx, 30c being the min, you don't need to leave the thermometers there all the time once the temps are stable, just do a check every so often. If you're not hibernating then you will need your room heating on through the winter as you'll not be able to keep your table correct in a cold room and the temps can drop at night but I never let mine get below 15c although they will tolerate a lower temp they will take longer to wake up and to low can kick in the instinct to hibernate.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
oh, i though it would be big enough? oh poop :(
i got her from a breeder and the enclosure she was in both indoors and out wasn't much bigger than mine, I've not got thermometer to check temps yet, she has her basking light which is on all day
You really do need to check the temps, as they are really important for the health of your tortoise:0)
When you say the light is on all day, how long?
I have just bought in my smaller tortoises inside, as the temps and weather have taken a down turn:0) Their lights will be on from 7oclock in the morning until around 4pm. As by then the outside light levels will drop and they will be asleep. Not much point in having heat on if they are asleep:0)
These tortoises will probably be unhappy for a few days, until they get used to being inside again. Once tortoises have been outside, that's where they prefer to be:0)
Do we know her species please?

Reactions: gemzisace

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You really do need to check the temps, as they are really important for the health of your tortoise:0)
When you say the light is on all day, how long?
I have just bought in my smaller tortoises inside, as the temps and weather have taken a down turn:0) Their lights will be on from 7oclock in the morning until around 4pm. As by then the outside light levels will drop and they will be asleep. Not much point in having heat on if they are asleep:0)
These tortoises will probably be unhappy for a few days, until they get used to being inside again. Once tortoises have been outside, that's where they prefer to be:0)
Do we know her species please?
she is a 4yr old horsefield
i shall be investing in some thermometers asap
her light is on from around 7am which is when i get up til she takes herself off to bed which is around 4/5pm, i agree with you, her light isn't on if she's in bed
i am using woodchip in her enclosure at the mo as that is what the breeder said to use but i have read alot about soil etc, i must admit i am getting somewhat confused with all the different things i am reading, i trust what the breeder said as she has been breeding for 25yrs but alot of what i have read seems to be different to what she says
i would like to get some soil for her but unsure what type :0/ i've heard alot about ikeas kokosnot but i don't have an ikea near me

i do appreciate all your advice, i just want the best for my little lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you need two thermometers preferably with probes, one for the cool end and one for the basking area, without these you have no idea what the temps are. The cool end wants to be around 20c or room temp through the day and the basking 30 -34 approx, 30c being the min, you don't need to leave the thermometers there all the time once the temps are stable, just do a check every so often. If you're not hibernating then you will need your room heating on through the winter as you'll not be able to keep your table correct in a cold room and the temps can drop at night but I never let mine get below 15c although they will tolerate a lower temp they will take longer to wake up and to low can kick in the instinct to hibernate.
are these any good?
LCD Digital Fish Reptile Aquarium Tank Water Vivarium Temperature Thermometer UK | eBay

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
she is a 4yr old horsefield
i shall be investing in some thermometers asap
her light is on from around 7am which is when i get up til she takes herself off to bed which is around 4/5pm, i agree with you, her light isn't on if she's in bed
i am using woodchip in her enclosure at the mo as that is what the breeder said to use but i have read alot about soil etc, i must admit i am getting somewhat confused with all the different things i am reading, i trust what the breeder said as she has been breeding for 25yrs but alot of what i have read seems to be different to what she says
i would like to get some soil for her but unsure what type :0/ i've heard alot about ikeas kokosnot but i don't have an ikea near me

i do appreciate all your advice, i just want the best for my little lady
Horsfields need deep soil to dig in and not too high temps (not above 32). I have never heard of a horsfield breeder suggesting woodchip as it is not good for burrowing or thermoregulation and horsfields certainly won't thrive in it. You can get coconut fibre from many places, it doesn't have to be kokosnot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
any of the cheap digital thermometers will be fine and it pays to have two as they don't always agree with each other so you can take the average, you don't have to be that accurate. I only ever used top soil or the product called tortoise life which is a ready mix of soil, but whatever you choose you'll need to spray it daily and even water it so it doesn't become to dry, its a bit hit and miss with the sterilsed top soil as some can contain rubbish so needs checking before use, it can also be wet so will need to be dried first. The sort of product you are looking at is a fairly new substrate to be used and I assume its used as well as soil ie at one end but I'm not sure on that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts