Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Sookie and Bill are enigma hatchlings who had dropped their tails, they are both severley under weight due to this, the tails are growing back but obviously all the fat is going to regen the tail... what's an effective way of fattening the little ones up? Sookie weighs 6g and has eaten 3 locust tonight but wouldn't eat any more... will hand feed her again tomorrow... Bill wont handfeed so i have taken the legs off the locust and they are in the tub with him... i have CCF which i can use... i was going to make a bug soup for them but wasn't sure because they CAN eat, neither of them will touch mini mealies :whistling2:

i thank you all in advance x

p.s i didn't breed these and got them 2 weeks ago after their tails had dropped

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,615 Posts
Hiya - poor little ones. Personally I would not try force feeding / slurry if they will eat for themselves. I am sure you have the temps correct for them? Locust and roaches are imo the best feeders for them. Make sure they are very well gut loaded (fish food flakes are good, dark green leafy veg etc) and properly dusted of course. Try feeding the Leos little and often if pos. CCF in the water would give them a little more energy and protein so would be worth using. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks sweetie... by handfeed i just meant holding the locust so they could catch them :) yeah i figured with the bug soup may not be much point... i'm keeping their temps at the higher end of the bracket so 90F ... i dont have any roaches small enough for the lil fellas i don't think (will check the tub tomoz when its feeding time) never heard of gut loading with fish food flakes... got loooads of that... usually gut load with veg,

dusting the food 5 days with pure calcium and 2 days nutrabol but there are the odd days where they wont touch anything so if the locust are stil there the next day i throw them away and put fresh in (i wouldn't wanna eat my dinner if it had been sat there for a day) x

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they should be able to eat regular mealworms just leave the dish in with them hand feeding will stress them out so just leave them to it they will soon pull round.:2thumb:
they're too small for regular mealworms... especially bill as he's only 3g x

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
aww 3 grams poor little tyke i thought i read 6grams
well then i would go for hatchling locust and roaches as jools already advised.also the critical care or avipro in the drinking water. even crix if you use them i hate crix big time but sometimes needs must.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bill is 3g sookie is 6g so one is bigger (don't worry they're housed seperately) whats the best way to use the CCF? x

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,615 Posts
I would use it in their drinking water. Make it up as said on the tub. That way (as long as they are drinking of course) they will get the CCF without stress. Good luck with them.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I found my leos (various ages) gained weight when I switched to feeding mealies as staple. Someone on here told me is cos they are the pupal stage of something else and so need a lot of energy (i.e.fat) for the metamorphisis. So maybe some mini mealies would bulk them up fast?
:)
xx

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they have them in there but never touch them :( i'm just uploading some pics now x

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would use it in their drinking water. Make it up as said on the tub. That way (as long as they are drinking of course) they will get the CCF without stress. Good luck with them.
thanks sweetie x

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sookie

Bill

as you can see bill's tail isn't growing as fast as Sookies, as far as i know these are siblings... unsure of age/sex

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Oh dear, poor babies :(

Try nd kick start/boost their appetite with the CCF and avipro.

If they wont touch the mealies then its poss either cos their appetite is supressed or because they dont like them/dont know what they are.

i wouldn't resort to force feeding yet, but u could put some bug slurry in their tub for them to lick up if they want it. Chuck some mealies nd waxies in it for extra energy/fat.
Also, the vet may be able to give them some extra fluids via an injection.

Poor lil sods.
Good luck with them
xx

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone :)

anyone know what sort of enigma they are? or are they too small to tell? x

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
agreed :) went through twilight names before, now onto true blood x

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,615 Posts
Poor little mites. Sorry if this sounds a bit basic but have they had faecals done? And I am presuming the temps are ok. Sorry didn't want to sound patronising but sometimes, when all else fails, it pays to double check things :)

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
poor little things wher did you get them from??
have you checked all temps and stuff.
do you now what the parents were.
got them from a friend who also hadn't bred them.. not sure what the parents were... keeping them at 90F... waiting for my sample pot to arrive for the poop tests x

1 - 20 of 24 Posts