Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A comment by Reddevil, plus various others about horned frogs and so on made me think of this; if you keep several species and could rank them purely in terms of interest, how would you?

Oh, and darts don't count! :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Here's some of mine:

1) Firebellied toads- hands down, my little colony is the most interesting tank I've got; their lunging around, snapping at everything that moves, pretty constant 'woop! woop!'ing and almost totally constant bonking makes them fun day or night.

2) Clawed frogs- not quite as active, but also up and about day or night, and very funny when they decide to engage in some aquabatics, or when food is about, lunging all over the tank with their arms out stuffing anything remotely edible into their mouths! :lol2:
3) Asian spiny toads- sit around like fat little Buddhas all day (unless fed!), but start lumbering around their tank as soon as the lights go out, whether the room light is on or not, looking for tasty woodlice and snails.

4) Golden treefrogs- again mostly quiet during the day (like all the others, they wake up soon enough when fed), but really active when the tank light goes off- leaping around and occasionally landing on the glass with a splat!

5) Cane toad- beautiful eyes, and quite an agile hop for a toad, but very rarely out and about until the room lights are off.

6) Dwarf African bullfrog- Sits in his den. Eats. Sits in his water bowl. Eats. Sits under his thicket of Philodendron. Eats. Oh, and did I mention sits and eats?

7) Madagascan burrowing frogs- really beautiful little frogs with a fascinating lifestyle- which I never see more than twice in a month as they stay burrowed more or less permenantly. I even dug the tank up once, to make sure they were still alive (they're fine). Easily my most disappointing frog buy in recent years.

What about yours?

·
Registered
538 Posts
id have to say
1)red eye tree frogs
2) green american tree frogs
3)white tree frogs
4)firebelly toads
5)pac man frogs (any species)
6)african clawed frog
just my opinion :whistling2:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Whites tree frogs - hilarious! Not a day goes by that they don't make me laugh!

Amazons - The same

Red eye tree frogs - really rewarding to keep, they are stunning and I'll never get bored of seeing them hunt.

USA greens & squirrels - again quite comical, not boring at all.

Giant African bull frog - he's still very small so quite entertaining, funny watching him eat!

Bird poo frog/pied mossy - only had a few days, but they are very interesting.

Mossy frogs - as above

Bumble bee walking toads- seem to be quite secretive (maybe they come out while I'm at work) really pretty and it's fun to watch them when you put the food in.

Don't think I missed anyone : victory:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I've had too many to list them all but here goes:2thumb:

African bullfrog) great character, lazy, eat lots, lots of mess, but very interesting - mostly from size, girth etc but also their breeding and feeding habits are very interesting.

Cane toad) Big, quite active, very interesting mainly from their wild traits like being invasive, poisenous etc.

Horned frog) Loud, not very active, not quite as interesting as others.

Fire bellied toads) Lots of character, fun to watch at times, one of the most established captive frogs, great too keep, definitely up there.

Darts) Very interest to watch, beautiful colours, as far as interest goes they are very nice:2thumb:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had too many to list them all but here goes:2thumb:

African bullfrog) great character, lazy, eat lots, lots of mess, but very interesting - mostly from size, girth etc but also their breeding and feeding habits are very interesting.

Cane toad) Big, quite active, very interesting mainly from their wild traits like being invasive, poisenous etc.

Horned frog) Loud, not very active, not quite as interesting as others.

Fire bellied toads) Lots of character, fun to watch at times, one of the most established captive frogs, great too keep, definitely up there.

Darts) Very interest to watch, beautiful colours, as far as interest goes they are very nice:2thumb:
Grrr! Darts are banned from this thread- they're already taking over everywhere else! :whip:

I'm not even listing all the frogs I've got, let alone the ones I've had- that last would take up too many pages! :lol2:

It is really interesting to see peoples ratings, though.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
1 ) Square-Marked Toad - She's great... always bouncing around and out on show. If she's hidden away I worry LOL

2 ) African Dwarf Frogs - They're always active, especially around feeding time. Trying something different this summer re: raising their tads.

3 ) Common Toads - Also they're more shy since I swapped their tank around and added the male, they're getting into their old routine of being out in the open and interested in whats going on when we're in the kitchen.

4 ) Eyeball (Common Frog) - Well he's a special case entirely. Eventhough he's not very active, he's a crazy SOB & likes nothing better than stressing me out refusing/being unable to eat and jumping at my reflection.

5 ) Cane Toads - Although on my wouldn't miss list, I see them more than 6,7 & 8. I see the female less than the male but she's not as jumpy when she sees me as the male is.

6 ) Warty Newt - Never see him, he's a total oddball hating water as he does but has had a hard life.

7 ) Chubby Frogs - Again, apart from the attempted breeding of these guys I never see em, although I have heard the male a couple of times since.

8 ) Oak Toad - Never see her, just moved her into a cool dinky (16"x8"x8") tank and she's fine (eating like a trooper) but apart from that I never see her. She's not what I expected from the species as they're meant to be diurnal, forraging away during the day in the leaf litter.

9 ) Common Frog trio - Well these must be last as a) I still need to bring myself to release them, and b) they're kept in the garage with little human interaction. They're out plenty at night but are quite flighty (Just as I wanted)

Also +1 for the banning of Darts :lol2:

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Grrr! Darts are banned from this thread- they're already taking over everywhere else! :whip:

I'm not even listing all the frogs I've got, let alone the ones I've had- that last would take up too many pages! :lol2:

It is really interesting to see peoples ratings, though.
That's because darts are THE best frogs you could possibly have! Beautiful frogs that are up and active in the day, can be bred more easily than so called beginner species and have real character! NO other amphibian offers what dart frogs offer, which is why they're so popular. :Na_Na_Na_Na: Stop fighting it, just give in to the LIGHT side and get some darts already. :lol2:

Anyway, as you don't want dart frogs listed, here's my list without them:-

2) Fire bellied toads, little characters that are nice and active. The only down side, they lack character.

3) Asian golden tree frogs. Lots of character, nice and active at night and have an amusing call.

4) Convict/blue flank tree frogs. Cute quacking call, unusual and attractive. The down side, they play statues the minute any light enters their viv.

5) White's tree frogs. Nice big frogs with oodles of character. Why number 5? Their call is VERY loud, it's amusing at first, but try 3 males shouting at you when you are watching a movie... They are BIG tree frogs, which means they need a BIG viv. Sorry, but it pains me that the biggest frog viv we own is occupied by 3 green frogs that are mostly asleep during the day. :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Ade

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
That's because darts are THE best frogs you could possibly have! Beautiful frogs that are up and active in the day, can be bred more easily than so called beginner species and have real character! NO other amphibian offers what dart frogs offer, which is why they're so popular. :Na_Na_Na_Na: Stop fighting it, just give in to the LIGHT side and get some
+1

:cheers:

·
Registered
868 Posts
I only keep fire bellies but love them,mine are on my desk and are constantly making me laugh jumping around or just sitting on the stones closest to me watching me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmmm at first I was going to write my whites as number one but then I thought whose viv have I many a time pulled up a chair and just sat there watching for I hate to admitt it but hours we ll that would be my fire bellied toads, close second my whites throwing themselves around wrecking the viv lol, only because I only have 3 species at mo last is my pacman, I ve no idea if he comes out of his burrow/ hole at night but I find myself poking him every now and then to check he's alive lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts