Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after she finished laying the eggs she turned around and started biting and hitting her nose on one of the eggs. she was bashing it i quickly took her out before she could even cover them up.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hmm how strange? I've never had this with any of my females? except they sometimes accidently tread on them and peirce the egg. Normally females are quite protective over there eggs as my females have displayed to me in the past when i have removed them.

It might be one of two things:

either the eggs are bad (but still incubate the ones you saved!)

or she just does'nt have any motherly instinct.

That's my guess anyway, i could be wrong, maybe someone else would know more. Are the eggs nice and plump & white?? This is a sign of a healthy egg. Sometimes you can see a red dot in the middle, this is the embryo.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I've heard of other species detroying 'bad' eggs once they;ve laid them, in the same way that some animals will kill weak and diseased offspring to protect the others.
I'd still incubate the others, but if the attacked egg is salvagable, i'd try incubating it separatly so if it s bad, it cant effect the others in any way, mothers often know best!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
ive seen females do this when the eggs are not buried enough.are u leaving her with the eggs? how much substrate has she got to bury the eggs with? :?:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok first to Becky i have candled all the remaning eggs and can see the red dot and veins. so in my kinda ignorant (being my first batch of eggs) they look ok most of them anyways. I'll add a pic so you can see them.

to Art i thought the same thing maybe it was a bad egg. and i wasnt going to chance her destroying the other eggs so i quickly took her out. I have incubated the others hoping their ok. from what i can tell they are I am only worried about a few 3 or 4 of them that where beside the attacked one. now for the one that was attached there was no saving it she destroyed it. broke it and then bashed it with her nose.

and to wee she was in a tank with about a foot of sand and she dug in a corner not really a hole but more of a trench. and no i have not left her with the eggs as soon as she attacked the first one i took her out and put her back in with Aregon. now after i took out the eggs she was staring in the direction of the tank freaking right out so i placed her back in the laying tank to see what was wrong maybe seeing the eggs were gone would settle her down. but she went nuts bashing her nose in the same area that the eggs were in. so again i took her out and sat with her for a bit till she calmed down now she is fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts