Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've started breeding my own feeders to supplement/eventually replace a lot of my frozen rodent orders.

Mouse Colour Chart by Merlins Magic Mousery.

I've started off with some pet shop fancy mice. I'm trying to wrap my brain around what colours I have and am getting!

First Litter:
A chocolate pied looking buck and a pink eyed "fuzzy" coat doe (she's definitely pied but the sparse, pale-but-not-white areas are hard to work out).

The top two are pink eyed, the other four are black eyed. One of the black eyed is lighter in colour.

I think this rules out the doe being champagne pied, as the litter would have been all choc pied, or a mix of choc pied and champagne pied (as the buck has proven out carrying pink eye).

The presence of black pied babies suggests to me that the doe is actually a dove, the pink eyed version of black, or a silver, the pink eyed version of blue. I'm looking forwards to seeing if the middle pup is a blue pied. All are carriers for "fuzzy" coat.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Litter 1 (red eye pied fz doe x choc pied buck) at 15 days old. Two of the black pied babies were bucks and were culled at 10 days. These remaining mice are all the females, except for the blue?pied boy at the top left. He will be bred back to his mother to produce some visual fz babies. The red eyed champagne?pied doe at the bottom is the strongest of the litter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Litter 2 (blue roan Hereford doe x black pied buck) at 8 days old. Looking like two black pied, 3 blue?pied and one mystery tricolour/merle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The funniest bit here is that the forum classified the picture as sensitive for 18s only ....
I know, they're some x-rated mice apparently! Or at least they were, they've grown a proper coat of fur now. This litter has turned out to be a bit of a sausage party though, looks like two of the blue pieds are girls and thd rest are all boys.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You gonna grow them to breeding age or are they feeder for small snakes ? Surprised you even care about their coats given they aren't pets :p :p

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You gonna grow them to breeding age or are they feeder for small snakes ? Surprised you even care about their coats given they aren't pets :p :p
I'm keeping back all the females at the moment to increase my stock (and the odd specific male carrying genes I want to propagate). Some young males have already ended up as Cape House snake and variable kingsnake dinners!

I still find the coat types and colours interesting. I'd rather have all sorts of colours for the sake of variety and telling them all apart, than ending up with the lot reverting back to wild types or something 😂

I was motivated to start up mouse breeding as a few kukri snake keepers in the US swear by using furless mice, and I can't find any frozen/thawed for sale over here. Allegedly, the fur is the problematic component for amphibian/reptile eating snakes. It does make me wonder if I could keep Asian vine snakes on a diet of scented hairless mice.

I'm tempted to get a trio of asf going too, but I'll stick to these mice for now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Litter 2 at 16 days old. 2x blue low-white pied does, 1x blue low-white pied buck, 1x tricolour buck. The litter was very male heavy. I kept back an extra buck to help maintain milk production stimulus in the nursing doe, as apparently 3 is cutting it a bit fine. This blue boy will not be held back for breeding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some cracking mice you’ve bred there (y)
I started breeding my own feeders about a year ago after a friend set me up with a few groups from his collection and also acquired some ASF’s and rats shortly after. I wish I just got some white/albino lab mice as I hold back far too many “pretty” mice instead 🤣

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some cracking mice you’ve bred there (y)
I started breeding my own feeders about a year ago after a friend set me up with a few groups from his collection and also acquired some ASF’s and rats shortly after. I wish I just got some white/albino lab mice as I hold back far too many “pretty” mice instead 🤣
You can get hold of them really easily! Stop looking for "lab mice" because they aren't really a thing. Lab strains generally have specific genetic traits/defects for study, like susceptibility to certain cancers, diabetes, problems with certain enzymes...

You want pink eyed whites or black eyed whites. PEWs or BEWs is what they're known as.

I'm tempted to get some ASF at some point, I like the badger faced ones and there's some pink eyed/golden furred ones for sake near me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts