1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
thank you

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
:up: can someone make this a sticky please?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
very helpful. Just found out now that my mice are x-large. didn't know that, they are all 30g+. sticky this!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Excellent chart! Comparison between rats and mice was very useful. Definately sticky this one!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
sticky please

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
:up:.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Looking at moving my boas on to rats and remembered seeing this thread a while ago. Had to search for it so I'm going to echo the call for it to be a sticky please!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Has no-one noticed the weights are a bit low????
Unless I have huge rats.

I weighed what I thought were small rats in the freezer last night. 6 weeks when I culled them. They weighed between 139grms-173grms.

My 5 day old rat pups are weighing in at 30grms.

If I sell them should I price them according to weight or age/maturity????

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I just weighed my boys and they're both around 590grams so I hope this scale is a little bit low on weights or mine are fatties!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
a lot of the home bred produce tends to be bigger in terms of weight and growth per age (and overall quality IMO) than the mass produced rodents for the frozen market.. this may account for the difference in the sizes..

i can't remember which frozen food supplier this pic actually comes from, although i have to say i also have it saved and loaded to photobucket and have also posted it here and there at times.. tis a very useful chart.. but it will be their average weight/size per category as supplied by mass production
(mass in relation to the average home feeder/breeder that is)

much of the uk's frozen rodent supply is actually sourced from outside the UK these days, with the major suppliers shipping in from western europe, increasingly eastern europe, but also as far away as the USA.

the rodent farms in the uk found themselves under increasing pressure from both legislation and costs, and so many uk rodent farms quit over the last few years, one business in the northwest i remember advertising for a buyer for some 18 months, i think without result.

its why you find a lot of people looked to breeding their own, personally i find the difference a huge one.. between what i can home rear.. and what i can buy in.. its a bit like the difference between raising your own free range chicken dinners.. to buying the production unit farmed chicken from tescos.. (which i have also done :) )

mass production rodent units are the equivilent to battery farmed chicken in many ways.. cheap, cheerful.. not as good as you could produce yourself..but always available.. they have a market thats for sure.

anyway.. i also agree.. sticky this! its a very useful chart, tho it might be an idea to add a credit to the site owner, should someone remember who they are!

this is another one, for rats and rabbits, i found whilst looking

http://www.wholefoods4pets.com/rat_convert.pdf

for those looking to move between mouse and rat.. or rat and rabbit on the larger snakes, this is another useful link for seeing what in mouse terms equals aht in rat terms and so on for rats to rabbits

http://www.frozenfeeder.com/sizing.html

somewhere i also have images of the chart for nutritional breaks down too..

N

1 - 20 of 72 Posts