Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay most of you know, or will by the time you get to the end of this, that I have a young Jungle Carpet Python.

Well I moved house last week and snakey was abviously coming too. I have put him in a room with central heating but am concerned about the new gradients.

In old house I was getting low end of 79, high temp of 87, with basking of around 90ish.

I now still get the high temp of 87 and basking of 90ish, but the low end temp can sometimes go as low as 74-75 degrees in the night and when I'm at work (central heating is off).

I understand that the low end should not go below 76 degrees at any time. Please advise if this is incorrect.

If i turn the stat up to get the low end up a few degrees I can get temps of high end 91-92, low end 78-79, basking 100.

Can somebody advise which settings are better or safer.

My other alternative is to put a heat mat under the cool end just to keep the ambient temps above 78 degrees.

It's not a major emergency, but just wanted a few more experienced peoples advice.

Thanks all.

G

·
I ve had this problem before mate and the way i see it is if your hot end and basking zone are at the correct temps then you should be fine.If the cool end is slighty lower than the rocomended then to me the snake would not go into that area very much as it would not be comfortable with those temps.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Whilst I do not keep carpet pythons myself I feel that 75F is perfectly acceptable as a low end, cooler is always better than too warm. As you have a good hot end and bask temperature the lower temps in the cool end are not such a problem.

If you are particularly worried then adding a very small heatmat shouldnt do any harm, but in all honesty I wouldn't bother. You may also find it awkward to raise the temps only a few degrees in the cool end.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It's winter so it's fine with a night time drop like that.. As long as you have an adequate daytime temp and basking area you shouldn't have any probs 8)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
yeah i don't see a problem with that as said if your snake thinks its too cold it won't go there! I'd rather have the correct basking temp.... that way it doesn't force the snake into the colder end for any period of time

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks.

My thoughts were the same, but with only limited experience I wanted to check with a few of you.

I will keep his basking spot around 93. This should give a minimum low of around 75.

The only thing that concerned me was that on a few mornings I saw him sat right against the thermometer reading out at 74 degrees. This happened on a couple of mornings.

My only concern was that he may start to Brumate. I know very little about brumating and didn't want to start him brumating accidentally, if this is actually possible with such a young (two feet long) snake.

I know brumation asn't a bad thing but I don't know enough about it to be messing about leaving my snakes in cool places for long periods.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts