Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I’ve got a bit of awkward one. I need to clean my Bredl viv out but she is hiding in a crack which I can’t get her out from unless I use hook to coax her out. I’ve only had her for about three weeks now and not been able to clean her viv with her hiding as I don’t want to stress her taking her out of her hidy hole. She is 15 months old has only fed and shed once since I’ve had her and she hasn’t defecated yet either. So do I wait till the off chance that’s out and accessible for me to put her in a rub or get her out with a hook. The first image shows the crack (right by the edge) she hides in
Wood Window Tints and shades Hardwood Metal
Plant Fixture Interior design Rectangle Display case

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
If she hasn't defecated then why clean the viv out ? And then you only need to spot clean.

If there is something you need to do then just wait until the snake has moved, unless it detrimental to the snakes health

If you need to so something in the viv that can be done without having to move the snake then just leave it there. I've replace lights and fixed cabling in vivs whilst the snakes are still in them. Often having you messing around in the viv is less stressful than being oisted out, and placed in a bag or tub whilst the work is done

·
Registered
(Harley / F / Calrolina) (Noodle / F / Anerythristic) (Ruby / F / Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery)
61 Posts
Thanks Malc I was taught to clean them out regularly whether they have defecated or not, have I been taught wrong ?
How were the donuts?
Spot clean every few days if needed a full substrate replacement and enclosure clean every 1 to 2 months depending on the snake if the viv is clean then you don't need to do anything or worry.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks Malc I was taught to clean them out regularly whether they have defecated or not, have I been taught wrong ?
How were the donuts?
I love Bredli and hope to keep one day 😁

RE: Husbandry - Certainly check surfaces, and check for hidden faecal deposits, wipe clean any mould if you see it develop on the wood branches.
Stirring up the substrate might help to aerate it and release odour particles, this could even stimulate your bredli to explore.
You might want to clean the viewing glass to aid watching.
I don’t personally disinfect all surfaces regularly.

Definitely maintain good hygiene with the water bowl.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
How were the donuts?
🍩 were great - Didn't think I would like custard... but loved it !!

There's no wrong way of doing cleaning or maintenance. I tend to change water daily, spot clean as required, and change out the substrate every three months. I'll use F10 to clean the base before replenishing the substrate, but that's all. I find that if you strip and clean too much the snake seems to be unsettled for a few days to over a week. It will go round tasting parts of the enclosure, and some species (my corns I use to own did this a lot) will defecate in the corner as if to scent it and mark a territory. If the snake has a bad shed and there is lots of bits of skin in the substrate then its gets changed out then as it's impossible to get all the bits of skin out of the substrate.

Now if you want to strip and clean the viv each week, or month or year that's down to you. It's what ever you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's hard to make out from the photos but if the snake is hiding between the artificial background and the vivarium wall, i would definitely recommend finding a way to close that gap to avoid it getting stuck there in future, looks like you've done a good job of creating a nice enriching enclosure so would be a waste not to 'encourage' it to use the space provided.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts