Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
If she hasn't defecated then why clean the viv out ? And then you only need to spot clean.

If there is something you need to do then just wait until the snake has moved, unless it detrimental to the snakes health

If you need to so something in the viv that can be done without having to move the snake then just leave it there. I've replace lights and fixed cabling in vivs whilst the snakes are still in them. Often having you messing around in the viv is less stressful than being oisted out, and placed in a bag or tub whilst the work is done

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Thanks Malc I was taught to clean them out regularly whether they have defecated or not, have I been taught wrong ?
How were the donuts?
🍩 were great - Didn't think I would like custard... but loved it !!

There's no wrong way of doing cleaning or maintenance. I tend to change water daily, spot clean as required, and change out the substrate every three months. I'll use F10 to clean the base before replenishing the substrate, but that's all. I find that if you strip and clean too much the snake seems to be unsettled for a few days to over a week. It will go round tasting parts of the enclosure, and some species (my corns I use to own did this a lot) will defecate in the corner as if to scent it and mark a territory. If the snake has a bad shed and there is lots of bits of skin in the substrate then its gets changed out then as it's impossible to get all the bits of skin out of the substrate.

Now if you want to strip and clean the viv each week, or month or year that's down to you. It's what ever you feel comfortable with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts