Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
4 Weeks ago I was asked to take on an Iggy by a client at work as he was aggressive towards her and shecouldnt cope with him. To be honest I have always wanted one but after researching and reading much bad press I didnt want to buy one and encourage the dealers to breed more iggies that will probably end up in a rescue centre.
I know many people dont approve of iggies as pets but please dont slate me I have done research and do have the time, space and funds to support him and I only took him on as he was in need of a home.
Well getting back to the story, I decided to rehome him as I felt I could offer him a better chance than some people could. I think he had a bit of a rough life so far as he has been passed from person to person and has lost his tail in the past (which is now growing back). He is also a bit on the slender side in my opinion (although im not an iggy expert).
I have now had him for about four weeks. His viv wasn't an ideal setup so I changed substrate and furniture etc to give him more space to climb after about a week. I let him settle in before handling him, but as the days go on he seems to be getting more and more aggressive. I am not going to give up on him and would like advice from people who have kept or keep iggies. Is it better to handle him little and often or just once a week? Most info I have found seems to condradict each other. I have now put him in my bedroom as he was trying to attack the cats through the glass and I didnt want him getting any more stresed than need be. Any advice greatfully recieved.
Thanx for reading
Tanya xxx

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
if he's anything like taming a bosc, dont handle everyday. slowly let him get used to u by doing things around the viv around him but dont take particular notice to him if he's showing agressive behavior. if he acts nicely, give him something to eat and show him u feel treat him if he knows he behaves. make sure he clearly see's u are the hand that feeds and not a threat. Its slow taming a large agressive animal and it takes plenty of patience. He will get better and adjust to u, but he's intimidating u cuz he know he can. Have confidence when handling and dont backaway if u can help it, unless u really think he will attack u. Never handled an iggy so this is just my advie when getting a bosc to tame down.

Goodluck

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya,
Thanx for the advice. I dont think the kittens helped winding him up by batting the front of the viv, but now they are locked out it might help to calm him. Whippy is a bit of a devil, hes bitten me a few times and charges at you when you open the viv. I do TRY and be brave, luckily he isnt very big at the moment so I want to try and calm him down while there may still be a chance.
Tanya xx

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
because you are female males can be aggressive especially if its your time of the month(sorry boys i know u dont like us women to mention it)lol. melissa kaplan is a brilliant herp writer and has huge pages and books dedicated to iggys.

http://www.anapsid.org/ some excellant reading there and will definalty help u out (especially in regards to the male iggy v human females)
and well done for rehoming the iggy in the first place :) :wink:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the link its an amazing site full of great info. I'm sure it will help. I dont really know the sex, the passed owner reffered to him as a he and its stuck.
Thanx again you've been really helpfull
Tanya xxx

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its hard to be brave when they are so powerful, and it can be very intimidating but reptiles of this sort are highly intelligent and know how to pull our strings and its all about putting ur foot down an showing who is boss. My bosc doesnt mind the cats anymore, at one point he'd run to hide when i came in the room but i caught him putting his feet on the glass to play with the cats a few times :p

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
that picture reminded me of the time i caught my beardy playing with my neighbours cat :lol: :lol:
[/URL] [/img]

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HeHe what fab piccies. I'm sure i'll get there in the end with whippy its just gonna take allot of courage and determination!!
Tanya xx

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
lol they're great pics

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
weeminx said:
because you are female males can be aggressive especially if its your time of the month(sorry boys i know u dont like us women to mention it)lol. melissa kaplan is a brilliant herp writer and has huge pages and books dedicated to iggys.

http://www.anapsid.org/ some excellant reading there and will definalty help u out (especially in regards to the male iggy v human females)
and well done for rehoming the iggy in the first place :) :wink:
Hmmm.. not sure if I believe that one. I have kept quite afe wiguanas, aome very aggressive males, and none have been anymore aggressive with me at my time of the month than anyone else or at any time.

A lot of people say the same thinga bout entire male horses, and it is just a myth. I have worked onn studs, and handled the stallions on a daily basis with ni problem.

Blazey is pretty much spot on with how to tame your lizard, don't put pressure on him. Wear a gardening glove when doing things in the viv if it makes you feel safer.

Good luck with him, Iggys are wonderful, and once they get used to you, tolerate handling well, and some even get to quite like it. One of my females used to love being stroked!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i wouldnt recommend the glove though, it actually caused more problem than it was worth with me cuz it made my bare hand seem even more unfamiliar to him and lessened my grip on him. i just picked him up and wouldnt let him win, dont grip too tightly, they'll feel too dominated and get more worried, let them walk off if neccessary, but pick them up again calmly when they have calmed down a little. perseverance and patience are the way forward, being a coward isnt :p

what works for one may not work for others so try different variations of our methods and see what suits u.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
erm......ITS NOT A MYTH dafty!! :roll: MALE IGGYS do BECOME MORE AGGRESSIVE WHEN A HUMAN FEAMLE IS MENSTRUATING.(THINK WE'VE KEPT THEM LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW THIS) :lol: :lol: and wtf you comparing em to horses for? some people make sme so mad :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
i had to go get some info from melissa kaplan just to proove a point :D
Many humans are amazed to find out that most animals can tell the difference between human males and human females. Not only can they tell us apart, however, but they know when human females are going through their monthly cycles. Most animals are better at detecting pheromenal (hormonal) changes in their own species than we humans now are with other humans. Some animals, such as the green iguanas, have special chemosensory organs, such as the iguana's vomeronasal (Jacobson's) organ, used to detect these hormones.

In iguanas, this results in their not only being able to smell the chemical cues laid down by other male iguanas who have marked their territories by dragging their thighs (and the protruding scent-laden waxy femoral pore plugs) along ground and branches (and, in captivity, the carpet, couch and other surfaces the iguana is allowed upon), but in being able to detect the subtle changes in their female keepers. Iguanas can tell when their female humans are menstruating and ovulating. Human females who have been spay--, er, have had a partial or complete hysterectomy, or who are post-menopausal, are still cycling hormonally every month, and the iguanas are able to detect these hormones even in their greatly reduced amounts.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
birds do it aswell.

its not always the case though, some iggys never show particular aggression to females and some become very fond of their female owners regardless of hormones so affectively, the theory can be disproved :p not had an iggy myself, but logically, it can be disproved :p u cant just generalise every male iguana to be a woman hater, though they are known to be particularly fiest at times of the month and pregnancy with women.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
weeminx said:
erm......ITS NOT A MYTH dafty!! :roll: MALE IGGYS do BECOME MORE AGGRESSIVE WHEN A HUMAN FEAMLE IS MENSTRUATING.(THINK WE'VE KEPT THEM LONG ENOUGH TO KNOW THIS) :lol: :lol: and wtf you comparing em to horses for? some people make sme so mad :evil: :evil:
I was just asking as some things that are widely believed are myths! I have kept iguanas for 15 years, and never experienced this myself, which was why I was asking. Why would that make you mad?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Boscs are very intelligent and i've heard the same things about boscs but my Don is more aggressive towards men :p he hates my boyfriend :D yet he likes his sister as much as he likes me :p

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
my brother in law had the tip of his finger taken of by 'tyson' his male green iggy, all because the age old excuse of 'the wrong time of the month'!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info guys. GOOD NEWS!!!! I just got Whippy out and he was fine. I used the gloves to catch him and then took them off. Although he did struggle he didnt try and bite and only tapped me with his tail. After I put him back I gave him a lovely bowl of yummy food as a treat! Fingers crossed I will get there in the end, he really is a stunner!
Tanya xxx

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
thats brilliant news, good luck

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
well done. Think it was a good idea to take the gloves off after u have caught him, i know its silly but because i think tehy are so intelligent i think they get confused when you do finally get courage to handle them fully without gloves, always best to start with ur bare natural hands even if u are a bit scared :p a firm hand not only benefits ur confidence but it benefits theirs aswell to not be hurt or mistreated by you. Goodluck and well done, thats a big step and you should be proud :D as u start to watch him more you'll recognise personality changes and emotion and u'll see the best times to reach for him and when not to :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts