Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the the forums. I was researching multi species setups and I thought of an idea: having a paludarium containing 3 islands split by water (not sure how deep but probably deep enough for some small tetras/guppy's etc.) and having a different tropical aboreal species on each island. these species would obviously need to have the same or very similar requirements but would not make contact with each other. I was thinking something along the lines of Green anoles and long tailed lizards but i am not sure about a third. the islands would have to be big enough for each animal and have a big enough gap between so the animals can't change islands. I will most likely not actually do anything with this idea I just wanted to get it out of my head.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I'm new to the the forums. I was researching multi species setups and I thought of an idea: having a paludarium containing 3 islands split by water (not sure how deep but probably deep enough for some small tetras/guppy's etc.) and having a different tropical aboreal species on each island. these species would obviously need to have the same or very similar requirements but would not make contact with each other. I was thinking something along the lines of Green anoles and long tailed lizards but i am not sure about a third. the islands would have to be big enough for each animal and have a big enough gap between so the animals can't change islands. I will most likely not actually do anything with this idea I just wanted to get it out of my head.

Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks although a third species is still bugging me. I'm starting to think tree dragons?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks although a third species is still bugging me. I'm starting to think tree dragons?

I'm not sure only because I personally don't know much about tree dragons. I do know the long tail lizards and anoles can live cohesively.

I would love to see something like this or even have something like this!

·
Registered
900 Posts
To be honest, I really wouldn't keep anything with anoles, too aggressive and territorial. I know some people keep them in groups, but the general German/Dutch anole keepers is to keep them in pairs to reduce stress and aggression.

I've heard longtails tend to have a problem with skin infections when kept in humid tropical terrariums. But can do well if there are 'dry' spots, but it wouldn't be ideal.

Pretty much all lizards are perfectly able to swim short distances, so the animals wouldn't really be separated by water all that much. Picking species with different niches (diurnal/nocturnal or arboreal/ground dwelling) is far more likely to succeed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for that insightful information! However I think this is all a wishful dream.

It would be amazing to see something like this come to fruition but until then it's just nice to dream!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard dart frogs drown easily and it is just a nice dream but i do like suggestions :mf_dribble:Me at the thought of a 12 foot viv

1 - 10 of 10 Posts