Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to this forum and I have recently been bought (by my lovely girlfriend) a musk turtle. It came fully equipped with tank and all the equipment needed for his well being but I have a couple of questions that got mixed answers from google searches and needed some expert answers.

Firstly, how long do these guys grow? I've seen extremes like 1-2 inches to 5-6 inches and it's getting confusing.
Also, how long do they live for? I have seen 5-7 years and 30-50 years.
Will it be fine on it's own?
I have been given bloodworms for it to eat, at the moment I put it on the dry rock I have at the stop of a stack and he pulls it into the water and swims around grabbing them in his mouth (cutest thing ever may I add :blush:) is this the wrong way to feed him?

That's it for now, thank you very much :)

p.s. It's name is moss and its the cutest thing ever

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Many turtles are sold with "all the equipment" and 9/10 times its no where near that. Mind posting a list of all your equipment, size of tank, water levels, water temps, basking temps and lighting. Will help us help you alot, to make sure they are getting all they need.

They grown to 4-5 inches, depending on the sex. Females tend to be larger.

Age varies but the second figure is more realistic if kept correctly.

It would be happiest on its own, adding more creates a set of issues and turtles are not sociable animals.

Blood worms are not a stable diet atall, and should be used only as a treat. The reason it drags it into the water is simple, they cannot eat on land.

Here is a good and reliable caresheet to assist you
ATP - Care Sheet: Stinkpot (Common Musk)

Sweet name, musks are fantastic turtles to keep.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many turtles are sold with "all the equipment" and 9/10 times its no where near that. Mind posting a list of all your equipment, size of tank, water levels, water temps, basking temps and lighting. Will help us help you alot, to make sure they are getting all they need.
eek, that's worried me :S

24 x 12 x 12 tank. Water level is about 4". 77F 25C for water temp and a UV strip lamp on the lid of the tank.

what do you mean by basking temperature? :eek4::eek4:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. By asking what the basking temperature is it means the place where the turtle can get out of the water and completely dry off. The basking area temperature should be around 90-95 degrees F or 32-35 degrees. This is to allow the turtle to engage in thermoregulation. You have come to the right place to gather the information you require. Do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are silly. Everyone here seems friendly.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Remove the lid, only causes humidity which can cause potentially fatal RI. Do you know the strength of the UVB?. Id suggest if you have used the bulb, purchasing a tube starter kit.

Basking temp, is the air temp under the heat bulb and uvb bulb. This encourages the turtle to bask (it probably wont in your pressence for a long time) and thermoregulate. Im assuming you dont have a heat bulb then?

What kind of filter do you have?

Water temp is correct, water levels are good. Plently of places to hide and explore? Have you given it plants to hang on to?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. By asking what the basking temperature is it means the place where the turtle can get out of the water and completely dry off. The basking area temperature should be around 90-95 degrees F or 32-35 degrees. This is to allow the turtle to engage in thermoregulation. You have come to the right place to gather the information you require. Do not be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are silly. Everyone here seems friendly.
Thank you :) I don't mind too much about looking silly I care way more about keeping the turtle healthy. I'm not too sure about the actual temp for basking but he has come and slept on the dry rock before even whilst the light is on.

Remove the lid, only causes humidity which can cause potentially fatal RI. Do you know the strength of the UVB?. Id suggest if you have used the bulb, purchasing a tube starter kit.

Basking temp, is the air temp under the heat bulb and uvb bulb. This encourages the turtle to bask (it probably wont in your pressence for a long time) and thermoregulate. Im assuming you dont have a heat bulb then?

What kind of filter do you have?

Water temp is correct, water levels are good. Plently of places to hide and explore? Have you given it plants to hang on to?
I have a long bulb across the lid of the tank and also a heater stuck to the side of the tank.

Yeah he loves to hide, I know this because 80% of the time I look inside the tank I can't find him anywhere. There is on small plant near the side and a huge tank spanning half the tank at the back. He loves swimming head-first into them and staying on :D

EDIT: I have an ELITE stingray 15 underwater filter.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
That could be a UVB bulb or could be a normal aquarium bulb? Either way not a heat bulb. You need both heat and UVB (10.0, 12.0 would be better).

Your filter may do as a hatchling, but will be useless as it grows. Id suggest looking into external filters, plently of threads on it here.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
As Clarebear said its is good practice to remove the aquarium lid, as by leaving it in situ will increase the humidity within the enclosure. When i kept map's in the past we always had a separate heat bulb and uvb bulb. These bulbs were attached to the tank via clamp on lamp's or suspended above the tank. Both the heat and uvb bulbs need to be concentrated above the basking area. You may want to invest in a digital thermometer so you can monitor the basking areas temperature.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm ok I need to do a lot of research then guys thank you very much :)

I think it is a normal aquarium bulb. :/ Gah, I spent so much money buying things for this tank already :(

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Its useless then.

Now you dont need the starter in the lid, look for a compact UVB bulb. This can then focus the UVB wheres its usefull on the basking platform.

Good luck researching, the caresheet I provided eailer is a good resource, as is the search function on this forum. Many people have been in your shoes, and many members have offered assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts